650E Valve cover gasket change question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650E Valve cover gasket change question

I just pulled my valve cover to replace the gasket, as it was leaking bad.

Take a look at this picture.. Has this been re-threaded? There is another one on the opposite left side. I have two screws that are longer than the rest as well. I did not pay attention to where they went as I thought they would all be the same size. I wonder if the two longer screws go in these places?

Those barrels are stock. They are NOT rethreaded.

They are there to make sure the cover is positively located and does not move around before the bolts are tightened to hold it in place.

Because they stick down a bit into what would be the threaded area, your two longer bolts do go in those locations to be able to reach the same number of threads as the other bolts.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I got the gasket on...

I fired it up for a few minutes. It smoked pretty bad from what looked like the carbs....it has been sitting for two months, maybe water in the bowls?

I cannot tell if the gasket is leaking, maybe a little bit from the half moons. I will try again once I change the oil.

Comment

How was it running before its two month rest? inside or outside storage?
        Hopefully, you were diligent at cleaning old gasket remnants off- time consuming but necessary. Must be careful at half moons or just replace them.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

inside storage.

I took it for a ride. Ran pretty decent.

Seems to be leaking on the left side if sitting on the bike. Leaking pretty bad to i see drops.

It also looks like the head gasket may be leaky.

WONDERFUL.

Comment

I'd be suspicious of cam cover gasket and/or half moons b4 head gasket.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X