Stray pin in the bottom of my 850 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stray pin in the bottom of my 850 engine

Help, as well as the pile of aluminium shards that was my camchain guide holder and a 17mm thin washer i have found a collared pin in the bottom of my engine! the pin has a diameter of 3mm, is 10mm long and has a collar/bush that rotates freely on it with a diameter and length of 6mm. both ends are slightly peened over so this collar cannot come off the pin. My engine is a 1980 GS850GT engine so no kickstart mechanism in it and i have studied the diagrams and cannot find this pin in any of them. does anyone know what this pin is? i know the head has been off before by a complete idiot who put silicone all over the gaskets and i think it could have been dropped in the engine by accident and is no part of this engine.

Originally posted by Matt Lund View Post
    Help, as well as the pile of aluminium shards that was my camchain guide holder and a 17mm thin washer i have found a collared pin in the bottom of my engine! the pin has a diameter of 3mm, is 10mm long and has a collar/bush that rotates freely on it with a diameter and length of 6mm. both ends are slightly peened over so this collar cannot come off the pin. My engine is a 1980 GS850GT engine so no kickstart mechanism in it and i have studied the diagrams and cannot find this pin in any of them. does anyone know what this pin is? i know the head has been off before by a complete idiot who put silicone all over the gaskets and i think it could have been dropped in the engine by accident and is no part of this engine.
    Got a pic?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Part of the cam chain guide ? where it fits into the block ???

Comment

Post the photo up on Photobucket.com, then link the [img] code here.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks for the replies, i'll upload a pic but best description is a chain pin roller without the link plates.

Comment

Matt not sure what that can be. The description is not of any part that might have borken off anything else. Very strange.

If you get a chance join the UK Group on here:

You nver know we might even meet up one day.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks Londonboards, i just joined. photo of my bike as my avatar but be warned she's not pretty and looks much sorrier right now!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                Part of the cam chain guide ? where it fits into the block ???
                Hmm that may be what it is.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks i'll double check the diagrams. the pivot on the tensioner guide is still there but i may have missed something.

Comment

Umm...think they want a pic of the part you found.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep, we need a photo.

The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but is not (yet) clairvoyant.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not managed to get a photo of it yet but i'll upload it to my Flickr site. If you have a strong stomach search for Dynohubmatt's Flickr photostream and look at the photo that says B*ll*cks for what i found in the bottom of my engine! You have been warned!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Lund View Post
                          Not managed to get a photo of it yet but i'll upload it to my Flickr site. If you have a strong stomach search for Dynohubmatt's Flickr photostream and look at the photo that says B*ll*cks for what i found in the bottom of my engine! You have been warned!

Umm just post it here. The lack of relpies indicates no one has gone to your account to hunt for it.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

BOLLOCKS!!!!! by dynohubmatt, on Flickr

Explore Matthew Lund’s 586 photos on Flickr!
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks Salty_Monk. I've not quite got the hang of uploading directly yet. Grim isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X