Front end oil drool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end oil drool

My name is Paul and i have three GS750s. an 80 and an 81E and my baby an 80L. All three drool oil down the front of the engine. Seems to come from above the head gasket between the center two exhaust pipes. This leads me to belive that it might just be those two o-rings on the center front head bolts. My question is, can i replace those without removing the head? I am not a mechanic but i am good with my hands and learn fairly fast (with a little help from my friends).

On the 1100 you can remove the valve cover and replace them, not sure on the 750 but I would think they are the same.

Comment

I did with just the valve cover off

Get the new orings and a new valve cover gasket and you should be oil free

Welcome to the GSRs
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Dave, jwhelan thanks for the more than rapid replies. I was worried about the head gasket when re-torqueing the head bolts. This is great news. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If you have the time, the best way to install them is to apply the film of RTV, insert the half-moons and install the cover without the gasket.
          Clamp the ends of the cover down (you only need to use the bolts on the outermost positions) and let it set overnight.

After letting it set overnight, remove the cover, install the gasket, put the cover back on and go for a ride.

Though you may already know this I thought I would chime in with a little learned (in this forum) knowledge.
          That was a post from a member pertaining the half moons while I was adjusting my valves on a 81 750L
          The RTV (I used the black/fuel resistant type) is for the rounded part of the half moons and a very lite film is suggested for them only.
          Is also suggested that you replace the half moons and lightly oil the gasket for easier removal next time.

While you are in there it would be a great time to adjust the valves on those 16 valve motors if you have not already.
          It is really easy and there is a tutorial on basecliffs website for the 16 valve non shim motors.
          If you decide to do that I suggest buying two sets of feeler gauges to even out each adjustment.

May I also suggest you say your hello in the new owners section even though you have owned the bikes for a while.
          Tell a little about yourself if you are comfortable with that and Mr Basecliff should come along and post some gs links for some great reading on a lot of maintenance tutorials and mods for a better running bike.

Welcome to GSR

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
            The RTV (I used the black/fuel resistant type) is for the rounded part of the half moons and a very lite film is suggested for them only.
            Actually, if you replace the half-moons, you should not need any sealer the first couple of times you use them.

After they age a bit, it helps to use some sealer.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This site rocks

Comment

appreciation

Thanks again to all of you, every reply was more than helpful!!

Comment

Working...
                X