Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shifter Locked Up, Transmission Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Locked Up, Transmission Problems?

I was hooking up the wiring on my 78 750 rebuild. The bike is in neutral and the shifter is frozen, will not shift up or down. I took off the cover to see if something was binding it up and I don't see anything. I have had the motor out to clean and paint it.

The rear wheel turns fine and the bike turns over fine with the kickstarter. Also, I had the clutch hooked up and the cable is a problem since it is not really long enough, but the clutch pulled in okay, seemed to engage and disengage. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2012, 08:24 AM.

A little more info is needed,
    #1 when you try to shift the transmission does the shifter move at all? and if it does , does it feel like it has spring tension on it to return the shifter to center?
    #2 Did it work before you tore it down, was the bike up and running before hand?
    #3 Do you have a chain on it and have you tried rocking it as you try shifting it? also try starting or turning the motor over,on the bike then try and shift it .
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      A little more info is needed,
      #1 when you try to shift the transmission does the shifter move at all? and if it does , does it feel like it has spring tension on it to return the shifter to center?
      #2 Did it work before you tore it down, was the bike up and running before hand?
      #3 Do you have a chain on it and have you tried rocking it as you try shifting it? also try starting or turning the motor over,on the bike then try and shift it .
      1. Feels like it is welded on the bike, no movement at all. Didn't want to force anything.
      2. The bike ran and shifted before I tore it down.
      3. It does have a chain and the rear wheel turns freely and the kickstarter will turn over the motor without any noise, grinding, or extra effort. It is stuck in neutral right now. I put pressure on the shifter as I pushed on the kickstarter and still stuck. The starter is not hooked up, still have a wiring issue there. It did work before.

Comment

Try loosening the sprocket cover. If it's not perfectly square to the engine it will cause the gear change shaft to bind - hence no gears.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I took it off, thought about that. I was praying that was the problem.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

When you had the motor out did you by chance bend the shifter shaft or drop the motor accidentally?If that happened it may have jarred something in the transmission. You could also pull the clutch cover and the clutch basket , behind it you will see where the shaft comes through from the left side , make sure that nothing is wedging it there and that the detente spring and plunger are still working.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

My mind is going to the prospect of pulling out the clutch. Several new things (for me at least) come up. If I tear down the clutch, will I want to replace anything, what and how do I inspect. Then the expense of new oil and possibly a new cover gasket. This is sounding like my lucky day.

I didn't drop or jar the motor while it was out. Did turn it on its' side to take it out of the frame, but not the shifter side.

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                My mind is going to the prospect of pulling out the clutch. Several new things (for me at least) come up. If I tear down the clutch, will I want to replace anything, what and how do I inspect. Then the expense of new oil and possibly a new cover gasket. This is sounding like my lucky day.
                This is not a biggie. Chances are you would want to do this eventually for routine maintenance. Clutch springs are likely out of spec.

You can re-use the oil and if you're careful the gasket.

Yank it all off and find out what's going on in there. Post some snaps and someone will know what to do next. It's got to be simple......
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

This thread refers to the fiche at Alpha Sports for an '83 GS 1100GL. The page for Gear Shifting

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Now With Pictures

I have finally taken off the clutch case and I really don't see anything that is apparent to me why the shifter does not move. remember that the shifter is stuck in neutral, motor turns over fine with the kickstand and the rear wheel turns fine.

Here are a couple of pictures of inside the case.

Anyone have an idea?

Comment

the problem you have is seen in the second pic. you see the fork part on the end of the shift shaft with the teeth at the end. there is a spring in behind it. the 2 legs of the spring should sit either side of the little stub shaft, just visible above the top leg of the spring.
                      hope that is clear enough!
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

We did the same thing to my bike. You have to pull the hub to fix it IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          We did the same thing to my bike. You have to pull the hub to fix it IIRC.
                          yep, you do have to pull the clutch, to line up the teeth on the 2 quadrants and locate the spring properly in behind
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            the problem you have is seen in the second pic. you see the fork part on the end of the shift shaft with the teeth at the end. there is a spring in behind it. the 2 legs of the spring should sit either side of the little stub shaft, just visible above the top leg of the spring.
                            hope that is clear enough!
                            Maybe this will make it clearer?

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Maybe this will make it clearer?

thats the one.....
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X