Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shifter Locked Up, Transmission Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are amazing. I'll start this later today, please stay tuned if I need more help. How did that happen anyway? Do I need to replace something to prevent it from happening again?

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
      You guys are amazing. I'll start this later today, please stay tuned if I need more help. How did that happen anyway? Do I need to replace something to prevent it from happening again?
      it could be one of 2 things, firstly it was assembled wrongly or secondly the shaft could have been pushed through the cases from the sprocket side, causing the spring and quadrant to dislocate itself.

on the shaft, sprocket side, there should be a retaining clip on the shaft to stop this happening, look to see if it is missing.

******* edit......actually i just looked on the fiche and there is no retaining clip for the shaft. there is on the gs1000 i have so the 750 must be different..SORRY
      Last edited by Agemax; 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

There is no clip. The shaft slides in and out, which is how you are going to rectify the issue. Slide it out a bit, rotate the fork until the spring is correctly located, then slide it back in.

Comment

When you are done, it should look like this (assuming the clutch basket is not in the way):

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What is the best way to keep the clutch basket from turning while I take off the nut?

Comment

That is a great pic BTW Steve. I might add that the clutch plates look great, I will try to put a mic on them while they are off the bike. I ordered new springs from Boulevard and they should be on the way, they are a bit behind.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                What is the best way to keep the clutch basket from turning while I take off the nut?
                (don't take this the wrong way) You need a clutch basket holder wrench. They make a special tool that holds the basket without breaking anything.

Comment

No offense taken. I think I have just the thing actually. I have a tool with a mesh band that may hold it. There are times I need a Clymers, I need to get one. The shop manual just is not enough.

Comment

Can someone verify the size of the bolt on the clutch basket? It measures out to about 31 - 32 mm. I don't have a socket that big and will go get one but really didn't want to buy a whole range of them Thanks again.

Comment

It's 32mm. If you have a selection of SAE sockets, use the 1 1/4".

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you have an impact wrench?

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=clutch

This thread refers to the fiche at Alpha Sports for an '83 GS 1100GL. The page for Gear Shifting

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
                          This post describes your problem. If I recall, I didn't pull the hub to fix it.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Just to update guys, I did pull the basket and that piece was pushed out and the gears did not match up. Pulled the shaft out a bit and it slid right in. Easy Peasy once you get a big metric socket. $20, goodness. I have one now.

The whole process was a good learning experience as I had not taken a clutch apart before (never had to) and got a look at all of the parts and bearings. When Boulevard gets going and send me the springs I'll put it back together and go onto the next problem. I didn't take a pic of where all the tubing from the carb nozzles go, so that is next.

Thanks a lot for the lesson.

Comment

Hi guys, I've had the exact same problem, pull the engine replaced again and the shifter was stuck in neutral...
                              But being the dufus I am I was giving a fair amount of force on the shifter
                              After reading this I removed the cover and put spring in the correct position, now it changes gear fine but the pedal doesn't return to the centre, I have too give it a little tap up or down to change again.
                              I'm guessing I've bent the spring, is it a easy fix or have i done more damage?
                              Thanks in advance Luke

Comment

Originally posted by R1robo View Post
                                Hi guys, I've had the exact same problem, pull the engine replaced again and the shifter was stuck in neutral...
                                But being the dufus I am I was giving a fair amount of force on the shifter
                                After reading this I removed the cover and put spring in the correct position, now it changes gear fine but the pedal doesn't return to the centre, I have too give it a little tap up or down to change again.
                                I'm guessing I've bent the spring, is it a easy fix or have i done more damage?
                                Thanks in advance Luke
                                You would have noticed the spring when you reentered it. My guess is that you have slightly bent the shift shaft when you removed the motor .Also probably what caused the shift pawl to get misaligned in the first place. If you pull the clutch cover and do the same thing you already have except take the shift lever off the opposite side and remove the snap ring , then slide the shaft out to check for straightness, then either straighten it or replace it.
                                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X