i found the source of my oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found the source of my oil leak

probably never was the oil pan...but this mysterious hole i found...

engine is NOT overfilled...just changed the oil and it is..well was right on the full mark...

this hole lets oil run down to the oil pan and makes it look like its leaking..i let the bike run about 5-10 minutes this morning and it had a hand size puddle under it...so my "its got to much blowby when going down the highway it seaps out the oil pan" theroy is blown out of the water

can i just shove a rag up there...or block it off completely?

bike is a 81 850g

Looks like the mystery hole to me. Its drainage for the cavity that the starter sits in, the o-ring by the starter teeth (?) Is probably bad and letting oil in.

Comment

Search for Mystery Hole to find out which seal you need to replace.

Probably the starter shaft seal, could be a couple others.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Search for Mystery Hole to find out which seal you need to replace.

Probably the starter shaft seal, could be a couple others.

wow how intresting....as in shaft seal you mean the oring on the part of the starter that slide inside correct? what other seal do i need to look at

Comment

I think the cam chain tensioner leaks down into there sometimes, not sure. Maybe that would only happen if the starter cover is missing. Also the grommet around the three stator wires can leak. Toasty is probably right, It is probably the one for the starter.

Comment

I think the cam chain tensioner leaks down into there sometimes, not sure. Maybe that would only happen if the starter cover is missing. Also the grommet around the three stator wires can leak. Toasty is probably right, It is probably the one on the starter.

ah gotcha...it has a brand new stator gromet...when i sent it off to warrant he put a new one on it...i do also have the starter cover on and no signs of leaks under the carbs....the front has a very very small leak...once a month if that i see it on one of the cooiling fins

also can i take the starter out without taking off the carbs?

im also rebuilding my spare 850 upper end...but wont be done for a while...i just wanna stop dropping massive amounts of oil lol

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

also can i take the starter out without taking off the carbs?
              I will guess maybe you could on an 850, but I know the airbox and carbs come out super easy too.

Comment

I will guess maybe you could on an 850, but I know the airbox and carbs come out super easy too.
                indeed they do....but its like super cold outside....those 10 minutes are brutal

ill do it after a while and post what i find

Comment

Do it in the kitchen.

Comment

Do it in the kitchen.
                    live in an upstrais apatment....would totally try riding up the stairs if my neighbors wasnt home

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                      live in an upstrais apatment....would totally try riding up the stairs if my neighbors wasnt home
                      edit: called crane company...gonna hoise bike to 2nd story balcony...problem solved

Comment

to my not suprise...i found a hard, flat o-ring...the one thing i never checked lol

it does have signs of an oil leak around the tensioner and around the bottom jug...but its dry not wet like it was under and around the starter

Comment

so far its fixed...somehow my trans vent was puking fluid too...so i drained it out...

Comment

just an update...i rode around for a while in this perfect 25 degree riding weather...i took it up from 0-100mph an then 75 mph for 3 or 4 miles...no oil dripping off the kickstand or on the rear tire...

so if i dont post again it was my issue...i forgot how peppy a old heavy 850 felt...its been a while since ive ran it hard like that

also got to test my new 06 gsxr controls which are super fantasic

Comment

Any excess water while your washing your scoot drains into starter cavity. If the bike is warm, the water cools the engine, water is then siphoned up the tube into the secondary drive. Next time you run it, the pressure pukes the oil out the vent and on your garage floor. you will see a mixture of oil and water, looks like chocolate milk but don't drink it.

Comment

Working...
                              X