No announcement yet.

Trans Is Puking up oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well after 500 or more miles, after my gear oil change, its back to doing it...i keep adding oil...

guess that means get my spare motor re-ringed and swap

the oild coming out is black as engine oil....doesnt smell like gear oil either

shes been a tough old motor and trans...almost a daily redline if not more...lots of rpms and abuse....tough ol bird

also how do i remove the part where the drive shaft bolts on...it has 4 bolts and a big nut in the middle...my spare motor is missing it

Comment

Uhm... Can you take a picture of WHERE it is leaking from? "the hose thing above the other thing" doesn't really help.

If it doesn't smell like gear oil it isn't gear oil. Gear oil smells like gear oil and that's it. Are you sure it isn't engine oil leaking out of the starter cavity? There's a "mystery hole" in that cavity for this reason. If its comin from there it's likely that the oring on the snout of your starter is damaged. It's also possible that you've too much oil in the engine. If so it will find the weakest gaskets in your engine and push its way out. It's also possible that your petcock has failed (I know you said you left it on prime and it filled your cases with gas, but did you leave it on prime or is your petcock leaking??) and filled your cases with gas again...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Uhm... Can you take a picture of WHERE it is leaking from? "the hose thing above the other thing" doesn't really help.

If it doesn't smell like gear oil it isn't gear oil. Gear oil smells like gear oil and that's it. Are you sure it isn't engine oil leaking out of the starter cavity? There's a "mystery hole" in that cavity for this reason. If its comin from there it's likely that the oring on the snout of your starter is damaged. It's also possible that you've too much oil in the engine. If so it will find the weakest gaskets in your engine and push its way out. It's also possible that your petcock has failed (I know you said you left it on prime and it filled your cases with gas, but did you leave it on prime or is your petcock leaking??) and filled your cases with gas again...
        its the small vent above the trans...my petcock is never on prime...and ive never filled the crank case with gas...ive replace the o ring...the oil is on the full mark

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like you're describing the breather for the bevel gear case. If the seal has failed, engine oil could be forced into the bevel gear area and then it overflows out through the breather's drain hose into the starter cavity and finally exits out of the "mysery hole". I think this repair requires splitting the case. Inconvenient.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Have you washed you bike recently? When I used to do that my secondary drive would puke oil just like yours. Washing the bike results with drain water in the starter cavity, the drain hose for the breater is down there. Water get's sucked up the vent line and overflows the secondary drive, when you ride the bike, you warm everything up, that and the pressure gets your bike all dirty. If the bike is warm you can suck up a good amount of water as the engine cools. Replace the drain line and run it through the mystery hole, I tied it up to the kick stand bracket so it wont flop around. Drain and fill the secondary drive with new oil. Problem solved and on more oil loss.

Comment

i re routed my trans vent into a catch can to prevent it from dumping oil everywhere...in about 2 weeks roughtly it starts coming up through the small clear hose and dumps into the tank...

Comment

Working...
              X