Oil Leaking From Oil Pan (GS450)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leaking From Oil Pan (GS450)

One of the first things I noticed and was advised to me when I picked up my used GS450 was that the oil pan gasket was going and would leak a bit when the engine was warmed up. Verified this when I first took her for a spin and smoke was pouring out from the exhaust where the oil was burning on the pipes.

I ordered a gasket and am looking to replace it but I'd like to know the process of doing so. Also, I was planning on tearing the bike apart and cleaning everything up. Anyone familiar?

you will need to drop the exhaust off, then drain out the oil.remove all the bolts holding the sump on and give it a thorough clean out,including the strainer.
    clean off the gasket surfaces SPOTLESS before refitting the sump with new gasket and torque up the bolts.
    change the oil filter while you are at it. refit the exhaust (again, new gaskets) and refill engine with oil.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You won't have to take the exhaust off on the 450, I did mine a while back. Its just a whole lot easier to clean everything underneath if you do!

Comment

I got tired of the gasket leaking. I tried something called "gasket eliminator". We use it on air compressor flanges that have to contain 125 psi, 180F oil and it works great. My oil pan benefitted from modern chemistry too.

Comment

When you drop your sump (oil pan) there will still be oil in it, so have something under there to catch it. It is a messy job, but necessary.

Comment

Working...
          X