How hard (or soft) is your... Clutch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard (or soft) is your... Clutch.

Very recently I replaced my clutch cable on my bike because it was taking me my whole hand to pull in the clutch. After replacing it, the pull was still pretty hard even with maximum slack adjusted at the clutch lever.

Now I have a 1982 Gs650G, and usually the clutch is pretty soft on almost all GSes (or so i have read, correct me if I'm wrong). I am starting to believe clutch springs may have been replaced with non-OEM springs. Now, keep in mind I do NOT have it running down the road when pulling the clutch nor running at all.

Do you think the springs have been replaced? I think its a possibility seeing as though the carbs were modified as well as pods, 4-1, etc.

I will be looking at this when I can next open up the gears when I drain the oil.

Feather, can pull it easily with my pinky alone.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Feather, can pull it easily with my pinky alone.
      That's what I recall reading everywhere... Hmmm I think I may be opening up my trans to replace the springs eventually.

Comment

Hi,

Methinks Mr. tkent02 may be exaggerating just a titch. It should take a little effort to pull the clutch, there are six springs. But you shouldn't need Popeye arms to do it. You are correct in that if the stock clutch springs have all been replaced by, say, aftermarket APE springs, they will be hard to pull. I've heard many folks use 3 of the APE springs and 3 of the old stock springs. Or six new stock springs should keep your clutch from slipping but provide an easy pull. Make sure the cable is lubricated too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get a nice new OEM cable too and lube it too, I hear it makes a huge difference. I dunno what it's like being able to pull in the clutch with a pinky, on my bike I would have to have a kungfu grip.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Methinks Mr. tkent02 may be exaggerating just a titch. It should take a little effort to pull the clutch, there are six springs. But you shouldn't need Popeye arms to do it. You are correct in that if the stock clutch springs have all been replaced by, say, aftermarket APE springs, they will be hard to pull. I've heard many folks use 3 of the APE springs and 3 of the old stock springs. Or six new stock springs should keep your clutch from slipping but provide an easy pull. Make sure the cable is lubricated too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Well, I'm 20 by no means a weak child and takes all four fingers to pull it in with quite a bit of effort. With the cable lube, how/what do I use? I was looking at it an wondering how I would go about that.

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
            Get a nice new OEM cable too and lube it too, I hear it makes a huge difference. I dunno what it's like being able to pull in the clutch with a pinky, on my bike I would have to have a kungfu grip.
            Well, the biggest difference I noticed was how much smoother it was. There was some rust/oxidation on the cable itself and that is why I decided to replace it.

So, 2 questions still: Best lube/how to lube the cable, and how would I tell the difference in the springs? I'm assuming APE or other aftermarket springs would be would more and stiffer, while OEM springs would be spread out a bit more and softer.

Comment

Cliff, your a guitar player. If you can't pull it with a pinky there's something wrong with it.

Comment

Worse he is a Bass player.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Cliff, your a guitar player. If you can't pull it with a pinky there's something wrong with it.
                  Huh, I am a guitar player as well

hahahaha

Comment

You might check the routing of the cable, if it's not done properly or there is to tight a bend in it you will have a hard pull.

Comment

My GS1000 has a fairly light pull, think the springs are shot, but it doesn't slip a bit.
                      My GS1100 has a moderate smooth pull throughout it's range.
                      These two bikes fall in-line with others I've owned.

The hardest to pull in clutch I ever felt was on a Norton 850 Commando, I could barely pull it in with all I had, my friend the owner thought it was normal, but he had huge hands and lots of muscles.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

If you don't have a cable luber, get one (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/CABLE-LUBER-...51ede9&vxp=mtr).
                        I use a teflon spray such as TriFlow along with a lube tool. Don't forget a bit of white lith grease on the ball pivot where the lever and cable attach. This goes a long way to a light,smooth clutch pull.

Comment

If your cables are worn internally, all the lube in the world won't help a whole lot. The steel cable will sometimes wear a groove inside the outer cable, at the inside of each bend. When you pull the clutch, the cable drops into this groove and binds up. Very hard to pull when it's trying to slide inside this groove. More wear, more binding, vicious circle.
                          You might be able to rotate the outer cable a half turn, so the old groove is to the outside of each bend, but at best it's a temporary thing, the cable will return to it's worn position.

This can happen long before the cable shows any visible signs of wear. Also worn perches, worn levers, and wear in whatever hardware is on the other end of the cable all add friction, it all adds up. Replace all of this stuff, grease the pivot bearing in the lever and the one on the end of the cable itself, keep all of that stuff clean and lubed.

No matter how strong your fingers are, a stiff clutch makes it very hard to ride smoothly.

Comment

Mine is really soft.
                            I'm sure I could use new springs but I don't notice all that much slipping.
                            Maybe if I try to lift the front up on a launch it slips a bit, but otherwise it's still good.
                            And when I say soft I mean one finger pull without much effort soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                              Mine is really soft.
                              I'm sure I could use new springs but I don't notice all that much slipping.
                              Maybe if I try to lift the front up on a launch it slips a bit, but otherwise it's still good.
                              And when I say soft I mean one finger pull without much effort soft.
                              New stock springs will fix the slippage without increasing the pull effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X