Susuki GS650 Mysterious Hole in side case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susuki GS650 Mysterious Hole in side case

Hello all suzuki brothers I am baffled by hole in the ignition side of my 2000 GS650 Bandit, I know that this forum is for the older GS suzuki's i have an older gs750 as well. i am posting a few pics of this anamaly.
    You can see into the crank and it was pumping oil right in to the transisterized ignition. and of course i have no spark but obviously it is the least of my worries. I bought the bike cheap as is. but i cant figure out how the hole produced. i know im probably going to have to drop the motor and split the case. my question is could that hole have been created if the the bike hit hard on the oposite causing the #4 cylinder crank and or arm to shear of the side of case. maybe someone rebuilt the motor and forgot the thrust bearing on that side ???? The bike only hase 20k miles on it. any help with this would be greatly appreciated or even a point in the right direction thank you

I can't tell what the hole is or what caused it, but if you are interested I have a 97 Bandit 600 motor with 820 miles on it. Pm me if you are interested. it will definitely cheaper than tearing one down and going through it. Plus it is almost new with the mileage. just broke in.That is if you are in the states.
    Last edited by hjfisk; 01-19-2013, 03:44 PM.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Can't figure out what the photo is showing.

I wouldn't assume oil on the ignition triggers is a problem until you do more research. Some bikes are designed that way.

Also, poor spark is rarely the ignition pickups fault. More common is ignitor failure.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

it is very hard to tell from that picture, it almost looks like it should be there. maybe a clearer pic of a slightly larger area may help us.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Looks like a carton of some silver stuff.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

are you sure about your bike model???????? the 650 bandit was not produced until 2005

The following different models of the bike have been manufactured:
            GSF250 with 250 cc (manufactured 1989-94)
            GSF400 with 400 cc (manufactured 1989-2000)
            GSF600N/GSF600S with 599 cc (manufactured 1995-2004)
            GSF650N/GSF650S with 656 cc (manufactured since 2005)
            GSF750 with 748 cc (manufactured 1996-1999)
            GSF1200/GSF1200S with 1,157 cc (manufactured since 1996)
            GSF1250/GSF1250 ABS with 1,255 cc (manufactured since 2007)
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Don't be baffled, maybe it was a casting flaw or maybe some part came loose and wedged between crank and case. Me, I'd definitely consider hjfisk's offer unless you are really ambitious !
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X