Front sprocket spacer confusion 79 GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front sprocket spacer confusion 79 GS1000E

Been searching through the archives and have gleamed some excellent info on 530 chain conversions. I am just looking to carryout the conversion to my 1979 GS1000E. Have spoke with Z1 and also had alot of help from Agemax, have decided on a 17/48 combo which gives a final drive ratio of 2.82 as compared to standard gearing (15/42) of 2.80. To that end with being based in the UK with no availability of 530 sprockets I want to make sure I get my US order right. I have just removed my 630 gauge front sprocket and behind the sprocket was a 6mm hardened plastic spacer just in front of the standard spacer. Should that of been the right setup? . My question is when I order my 530 front sprocket I believe I need a 6mm spacer but this is fitted in front of the sprocket, is this correct.

mate, there are places in the UK to get 530 sprockets........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks Adrian, I will check it out. After further researching in the archives I have come across an interesting thread from 2007 which clearly explains and puts to bed the confusion and question of spacers that need to be used on the GS1000E when carrying out a 530 conversion. It is a question of safety and when I split mine I found a 6mm washer on the reverse side of the front sprocket (totally wrong fitted by the shop)
      here is the thread if anyone interested http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...gearing+gs1000

Comment

also, i bought one of these, just had an engineer machine out the centre and bolt holes on a CNC mill, charged me a fiver.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

6mm spacer went to the outside of the sprocket on my bike. Z1 was very clear on this placement.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X