vapour blasting on bearing surfaces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vapour blasting on bearing surfaces.

Hi i just got myGS850 engine castings back from vapour blasting. The guy has done a great job but i noticed the bearing surfaces on the cam bearings and cam follower recesses have been blasted giving a satin surface. I'm concerned this will trash my bearings when the engine is running. Anybody had any bad experiences from this?

it will be fine, just make sure they are washed out like 100 times and then a few more to be sure to get all the blasting residue out. i had my engine vapour blasted and have had no problems at all
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yikes...
      I'm not familiar with vapor blasting. Is this a atomized chemical type process similar to an acid etching/cleaning?

I wouldn't guess that it took much of any bearing material off, but you may want to install the cams and tighten to spec torque and see if there is an inordinate amount of clearance between the surfaces. Some Plasti-gauge might be required, if not at least helpful, in checking this.
      If this gent deals with such things on a routine basis one would think he wouldn't cause damage to critical areas such as that, but who knows? If you've a Suzuki Shop manual I do believe there's a section on checking this very thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        it will be fine, just make sure they are washed out like 100 times and then a few more to be sure to get all the blasting residue out. i had my engine vapour blasted and have had no problems at all
        Well there ya go!

So anyways, someone care to 'splain the process to me? Is there no hard media involved making this a good choice to avoid clogging/damaging oil passages and such?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Well there ya go!

So anyways, someone care to 'splain the process to me? Is there no hard media involved making this a good choice to avoid clogging/damaging oil passages and such?
          basically it is a very fine form of bead blasting using high pressure water solutions, the "beads" are micro fine and are not abrasive whatsoever. it will take paint off aluminium without harming any surface at all, you can even blast shell bearing journals in crankcases.
          mine was shot with a rust repellant solution which attaches itself to the aluminium, and after 5+years my engine still looks the same as the day it was done.
          you can also do carbs with it as well.
          here is the best close up pic i could find to hand of the motor, 5+years after having it blasted. no paint no nothin, just bare aluminium.....

Last edited by Agemax; 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM. Reason: added a bit
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

for more info, take a looky here...............

also gives good info on ultrasonic cleaning
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Once again, thanks a million. If anything it will help with lubrication as the satin surfaces will hold oil better.

Comment

The problem with media blasting cylinder heads is the grit gets into the oil passages, which are sealed with press fit plugs and very difficult to clean. I went though this and spent at least an hour with simple green, bottle brushes, a small nozzle hose adapter, ect, spraying, scrubbing, spraying, rinsing, spraying, scrubbing, etc. Eventually got everything clean but will never blast a head again unless all the passages are properly sealed off.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Vapor blasting is media in a detergent solution

It doesn't leave any residue like you describe, Ed

You just hose off the cylinder head really well once you're done and poof, it's ready

One of my machinist friends has one and lets me use it. I've done a couple of sets of carbs so far. I can blasts the carb body from every angle and pull it out, dunk it in a bucket of water and swish it around and blow out the passage with air

It won't even hurt plastic or rubber parts. I blasted the choke lever and it looks great
                  Last edited by Big T; 01-24-2013, 11:13 PM.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The fella who did the blasting has blown the galleries out and steam cleaned it but i'll still spend at least an hour blowing them through. I'll unscrew the blanking plug on the main gallery and blast both ways through it. Thanks.

Comment

Agemax the difference between the tops and bottoms of your carbs and the main body; is that just a difference in metal types that shows up when vapour blasted? Or are the tops and bottoms polished. I am trying to find a finish that is "sateen" without resorting to paint.

Greetings
                      Richard
                      sigpic
                      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                        Agemax the difference between the tops and bottoms of your carbs and the main body; is that just a difference in metal types that shows up when vapour blasted? Or are the tops and bottoms polished. I am trying to find a finish that is "sateen" without resorting to paint.

Greetings
                        the tops are polished, the main body and the bowls are just ultrasonic cleaned. the bowls are now painted satin black.
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                        X