intresting vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intresting vibration

so i was riding down the high way this morning, i pulled my clutch in to coast and noticed a nice sloppy gear feeling vibration....and its slightly noticeable at throttle down as well

when the clutch was in it slowly went away...course this was at 75-80 mph

but let the clutch out it feels normal....i pulled the clutch in at 60 and 70 mph and it didnt do it

i dont feel or hear anything else odd...is it something i need to be worried about?

im rebuilding my spare motor, since my trans gasket in my current motor lets oil in from crankcase(i open oil check hole every few days and let it run out till it stops)

also wheres the best place to pick up standard bore rings...or whatevver i will need (motor had stuck rings from sitting)

and another thing i brought my spare final drive unit home...anyway i can check if its good? it turns super smooth with no noises, and has next to no slack turning it from the shaft side

I will take a total newb guess at the risk of being flamed but maybe it is chain noise?

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
      I will take a total newb guess at the risk of being flamed but maybe it is chain noise?
      Get your flame suit on..

An 850 is a shaft drive

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Get your flame suit on..

An 850 is a shaft drive
        i wish it wasnt...would make such an amazing machine....even shaft its still pretty good i guess

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post

Comment

Get your flame suit on..

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              i wish it wasnt...would make such an amazing machine....even shaft its still pretty good i guess
              I've heard there are some quirks with shafties. Co-worker said something about going into turns with it??? I've only ever ridden chain drive. Enlighten please...anyone?
              Originally posted by Steve View Post

That is too funny!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                I've heard there are some quirks with shafties. Co-worker said something about going into turns with it??? I've only ever ridden chain drive. Enlighten please...anyone?

That is too funny!

Ed
                Well, I've never really had any complaints about a GS shaft drive bike, but I've ridden a couple other brands and what you're buddy is talking about is commonly referred to as "shaft jacking" most likely. Some other models have shaft drive designs that weren't as well thought out or refined as Suzuki's and riders would often feel the back end lift as they rolled on the throttle mid corner. This was basically caused by the rear wheel "climbing" the gears of the drive system. It would, in its worst example, also cause some fairly scary wheel hop, but generally the feeling was simply un-nerving rather than legitamately dangerous. It took some getting used to for guys coming off of chain drive bikes as most of those tend to "squat" when the throttle was applied mid corner. The reverse would put more weight forward on the suspension and quicken the turning speed a little.

Comment

Thanks!

Well, I've never really had any complaints about a GS shaft drive bike, but I've ridden a couple other brands and what you're buddy is talking about is commonly referred to as "shaft jacking" most likely. Some other models have shaft drive designs that weren't as well thought out or refined as Suzuki's and riders would often feel the back end lift as they rolled on the throttle mid corner. This was basically caused by the rear wheel "climbing" the gears of the drive system. It would, in its worst example, also cause some fairly scary wheel hop, but generally the feeling was simply un-nerving rather than legitamately dangerous. It took some getting used to for guys coming off of chain drive bikes as most of those tend to "squat" when the throttle was applied mid corner. The reverse would put more weight forward on the suspension and quicken the turning speed a little.
                  I didn't quite know how to explain it but what you said pretty much describes what he was saying. Thanks for the knowledge.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post

im rebuilding my spare motor, since my trans gasket in my current motor lets oil in from crankcase(i open oil check hole every few days and let it run out till it stops)
                    Umm that makes no sense to me but then again i'm very tired tonite??

The oil in the trans SHARES the same oil with the motor.. no?
                    am i missin somethin?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Got me good!

By the way the only bike I knew before Tom's was the 821100GL and I have to tell you I don't really care for the squat nor the chain mess plus cleaning and lubing every 1000 miles. I just cleaned the dang thing 300 miles ago and it is a mess already, debris all over the swing arm I assume from stuff flying off the chain and the wheels are a mess from the lube residue attracking all the dirt. I'd rather have a pumpkin.

Comment

Working...
                      X