Engine Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Smoking

Is it normal for an engine to lightly smoke from all over when it has sat a long time? I just changed the oil and ran it for about 20 min and it lightly smoked and had a bit of a burning oil smell. No leaks and the smoke was so light I couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from. Looked to be generalized to the whole motor. I know this motor is air cooled so I thought it might be cause it was sitting still while running for a long period of time.

Probably just Ohio dust- when weather is good, take it for a ride to clean it and then doublecheck oil filter area for leak.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

ok cool. I did just change the oil and I saw no leaks but there probably is a fair amount of dust on the motor.

Comment

Never let the engine run more than a few minutes without air flowing over it. You will over heat it. Not sure if you did this but don't. Also, don't run your bike in the driveway during the winter. Either ride the bike or leave it alone. Short winter run cycles result in condensation accumulation in the engine and exhaust pipes, and no good comes from that.

Sometimes when changing the oil some drips on the exhaust pipes or similar, and when running the bike thereafter the oil will burn off.

Needless to say, you should make sure the engine is oil tight and not leaking anywhere. Valve covers commonly leak, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if that means someone has adjusted the valves like they should. There is more to maintenance than just changing the oil.
        Last edited by Nessism; 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did take the bike for a short ride but I probably did let it idle too long. Wanted to get the oil warmed up for an oil change. Thanks

Comment

The same thing happened to mine when I fired it up for the first time. At first I thought it was some electrical wire or component getting too hot. But eventually I figured it was the bike having not been run in at least a decade and therefore having a light coat of oil and garage dust all over the engine. Next time I let it idle for any period (which will be to change the oil), I'll definitely have a fan or two on it. (And yes, it'll get a good scrub-down in the spring...)
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Ok good. Makes sense.

Comment

I remember one time I went out to the bike, fired it up and OMG what a horride smell come off the bike. Dang neighbor hood Tom cat had sprayed my pipes....gawd that was bad.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Mrbill that is awful. Lol

Comment

Working...
                  X