Crankcase oil migrating to bevel gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase oil migrating to bevel gear oil

Crankcase oil migrating to bevel gear oil.
    . My 79 gs850g has been puking oil out the crankcase breather line for a while now. I also have it routed to a bottle to catch the oil.
    i have drained both engine and bevel gear oil, filled both w required oil.after a short highway ride of 5 or 6 miles i immediately put bike on center stand . At this point the crankcase oil level barely registers in sight glass.
    so then i open up screw on bevel gear case and catch all the excess oil that flows out. its a mixture of engine oil and gear oil.after letting gear box oil level flow to correct level out the screw hole, i then top off engine oil level to correct amount.
    Trying another short highway ride yields same results.

My question is .... Is this an internal seal/gasket that keeps the two fluids seperate ?

This sounds like a case splitting job to fix... Anyone have a motor for an 850 thy want to get rid of?

Any chance this could be something simple ?

Graf..
    ps. let me add this .. i pulled the airbox it was clogged with rust. now its not clogged. as for the crankcase breather i pulled the cover and looked at those two screens they are clean .. should i be able to blow into the line from the airbox end , into crankcase breather?

check out this thread with similar problem. should give you the help and advice you are looking for..........

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Grafilthy View Post
      Anyone have a motor for an 850 thy want to get rid of?
      Where are you?

I have the lower end of an '83, will have to check to see how complete it is.

You will lose your kick starter in the process if you do that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you Agemax. I did read that thread through.prior to posting here. No solution that i see to the problem.

Comment

Steve ;
          I live in Napa . Calif. 94558.
          Losing the kickstart doesnt bother me. Will it be a simple mount up ? carbs ,etc? What condition is it in ?

Comment

Thank you Agemax. I did read that thread through.prior to posting here. No solution that i see to the problem.

split the case open and fix it...i chose to just let it drain cause im rebuilding my spare 850

Comment

thats quite a project. One i never have done before. Ultimately tryin to avoid it. If a spare motor comes along cheap enough , I"ll opt for that.
              Guess I should start reading up on the procedure.

Comment

Steve ;
                I live in Napa . Calif. 94558.
                Losing the kickstart doesnt bother me. Will it be a simple mount up ? carbs ,etc? What condition is it in ?
                I will have to look at it tomorrow, when I get out to the garage.

I know for a fact that the cylinders and head are off of it. If I remember correctly, the stator is also missing, as well as the starter. Your starter, cylinders and head should transfer over directly, but your stator is a 12-pole, the rotor on this bike is set up for an 18-pole stator. The good new is that the 18-pole stator would be an upgrade and easier to find.

Shipping an engine block across the country might be a killer, though.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok keep me posted.

Comment

Working...
                  X