Cannot Get Flywheel off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Get Flywheel off

I have tried and tried to get the flywheel off 82 gs750. Used a m14 bolt with no luck. Got a slide hammer and still won't budge. Even heated and used slide hammer.....what am I doing wrong???

It takes a LOT of time and effort to get it off. Just keep working at it.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by bikemtn View Post
      I have tried and tried to get the flywheel off 82 gs750. Used a m14 bolt with no luck. Got a slide hammer and still won't budge. Even heated and used slide hammer.....what am I doing wrong???
      Have you've tightenned bolt hard against crank end and tried tapping with hammer on bolt head (towards crank), then continue to tighten bolt, and then tap, repeat, etc ?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Have you've tightenned bolt hard against crank end and tried tapping with hammer on bolt head (towards crank), then continue to tighten bolt, and then tap, repeat, etc ?
        I tried that too....so I went and got a slide hammer....I am going to keep heating and repeating I guess....

Comment

NO HEAT!!!! Heating them with a torch is bad on the magnets and the glue holding them in place.

Tighten the botl real good against the crank and tap either the bolt or the back rim of the rotor itself woth a hammer...retighten and then repeat.

By tighten we mean till you think that if you go anymore youll strip the threads...stop just before that and then tap.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            NO HEAT!!!! Heating them with a torch is bad on the magnets and the glue holding them in place.

Tighten the botl real good against the crank and tap either the bolt or the back rim of the rotor itself woth a hammer...retighten and then repeat.

By tighten we mean till you think that if you go anymore youll strip the threads...stop just before that and then tap.

Thanks....I just used a propane torch so I think I am ok....I will keep trying....without heat.

Comment

Mine fell off . Then I put it back on with green (forever) locktite and a big 1/2" impact. Sucker may not ever come off.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

One thing you can try that often works, is tighten your bolt in as tight as you can then just leave it overnight, put something under it to catch it so it doesn't clatter to the floor.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

HEAT ( above what the engine normally operates at ) is a NO NO. Dont believe me? Take a magnet and stichkit to a metal can and add some hot charcoal...then wait to hear it clunk and fall off the can.

Your torch flame is flairing off the head of the bolt if thats the side your applying the heat..and even from the back, your still getting it well hotter than the say 250 to 300 degree range of a normally running engine achieves.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Granted I do not know the EXACT temp at which a magnet looses its grip, but I learned this by playing around near the wood stove in my dads house. Stuck one on it and once it got hot enough it just fell off.

But why risk it is my point.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Granted I do not know the EXACT temp at which a magnet looses its grip, but I learned this by playing around near the wood stove in my dads house. Stuck one on it and once it got hot enough it just fell off.

But why risk it is my point.
                      Your dad probably wished he gave you more toys!
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                        One thing you can try that often works, is tighten your bolt in as tight as you can then just leave it overnight, put something under it to catch it so it doesn't clatter to the floor.
                        Exactly.. do this.
                        Remember to tighten that bolt VERY tight
                        If its not off in the morning tighten more and tap the bolt with Bfh

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                          Exactly.. do this.
                          Remember to tighten that bolt VERY tight
                          If its not off in the morning tighten more and tap the bolt with Bfh
                          ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hi guys i,d use my trusty rattle gun and socket.... spay well with rp7 inside and out the rattlle it off it should come straight off regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Working...
                          X