HELP! I lost a clip in to the motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I lost a clip in to the motor

I was removing the old pistons on my GS750E 1981 mod. And one of the clips fell in to the motor. I cant see it, and I have no idea how to get it out.

a long thin telescopic magnet and a torch!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

TORCH being a flashlight.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

How about the sump? In case flashlight and magnet do not work.
        Can I flush it out with som diesel?

Comment

try the magnet and FLASH LIGHT first. if that dosent work then drop the sump.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

As Agemax says, if you drop the sump you likely will still have to fish about with the magnet. If it fell in the cam chain you will find it in the v from the top.
            A good idea is to stuff a clean rag in the top of the crankcase to stop stuff falling in.
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Flexible magnet is how I found mine, I had rags in all the holes, (lost it when it sprang out and had no idea where it went) it fell in there when I removed the rag.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                Flexible magnet is how I found mine, I had rags in all the holes, (lost it when it sprang out and had no idea where it went) it fell in there when I removed the rag.
                With age and sight not what it used to be, I have found that at the instant of the snak and ping sound of the circlip leaving the pliers the trick is to listen carefully to hear where it comes down.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                  With age and sight not what it used to be, I have found that at the instant of the snak and ping sound of the circlip leaving the pliers the trick is to listen carefully to hear where it comes down.
                  Try this to stop having to search. Per Eric.
                  :cool:GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

That's the one!

Comment

Working...
                      X