GS 1000/1100 oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000/1100 oil cooler

Hi. I am new to the site and not real good at finding threads. I have a oil cooler that runs the lines off of the oil pressure plate. Lockhart cooler, I believe. Is this type ok to run with a 1100? I did see there seems to be a seal that goes between the plate and motor but no answers where to get this seal as it is not available from Suzuki. Has this seal issue been figured out? I.E a source for the seal? Thanks to all.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Let's bump this question back up- maybe it got missed. I know nothing about oil cooler fitment, but others do.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can you post a pic? I am assuming you are talking about the cover o-ring? If so the OEM should fit the plate. I would need a picture to give you a definite answer.

Comment

Which 1100? An 8 valve or a 16 valve?

Comment

Someone here found a substitute for that seal that fits between the pick up tube and the oil feed port in the engine case. Can't remember all the details but if you search the archives you can find it.
          Last edited by Nessism; 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here's a pic of my GS1000 with the aftermarket oil pressure switch housing, 8 valve motor.

As far as 16 valve 1100's go, most folks have the lines going to a aftermarket oil filter cover.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I went to the factory installed oil valleys on either side of the oil filter. I built my own stainless lines with Earl's fittings, and used the still available factory banjo bolts and crush washers. With my 16 valve 1100, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                I went to the factory installed oil valleys on either side of the oil filter. I built my own stainless lines with Earl's fittings, and used the still available factory banjo bolts and crush washers. With my 16 valve 1100, that is.
                I'm glad you chimed in, I know about those bolts and I have read that in past posts, but it's been awhile and I didn't know if I remembered it correctly, so I didn't want to say anything.

This fiche is for a 1150 oil cooler, wonder if any of those parts would fit,
                might give an idea of how to hook it up if nothing else.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  I'm glad you chimed in, I know about those bolts and I have read that in past posts, but it's been awhile and I didn't know if I remembered it correctly, so I didn't want to say anything.

This fiche is for a 1150 oil cooler, wonder if any of those parts would fit,
                  might give an idea of how to hook it up if nothing else.
                  http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1984&fveh=2162
                  Everything will fit except the mounting brackets 7 & 13.
                  I used an 1150 cooler, so the hoses and banjo bolts fit top and bottom. Unfortunately, the PO mistruthed me about the hoses; they were hosed (damaged, leaking). They are also made of unobtainium, (along with the cooler itself), so I made my own hoses, far better quality and better looking. I fashioned my own brackets and mounted the cooler to the horn mounting threads. I moved the horns to the fairing mounting threads on the sides. The fittings I purchased were at the same angle, but the SS hose did not require the lower mounting bracket due to its greater tendency to keep its shape, versus the factory rubber hoses.
                  The best part was the hoses did not interfere with changing the oil filter like the ones that use the oil filter cover for the hose input/output.
                  For an aftermarket cooler you would use the lower banjo bolts and crush washers for mounting to the case, and what ever the cooler required for mounting the hoses to the cooler. And make your own ss hoses, of course. Time consuming, but if you have an Earl's store around like Indy does you can ask them to make the hoses for you. Online stores might also offer the same service.

Comment

I think this is what you are looking for?
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                    X