No announcement yet.

Changing springs and clutch cable tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the linkage intact, squeezing the clutch puts outward pressure on the cover. Might pop it off by itself. Then if you still need it, do as Mike of BBG recommended, or just tap on the oil cap (not the handle, the edge of the cap) with a board and a mallet from the other side.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Clutch cover is off, tapping with wood was perfect idea, springs are changed, new gasket with thin motor oil spread on both sides along the edge is hanging on the two mate studs.But I am having some trouble getting the cover back on. Unfortunately I had already removed the linkage. Going to work it back and forth a bit and see if I can get the part poking out of the middle of the clutch to mate with the cover.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2013, 10:56 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Got it on. I put the linkage back on and jilggled it back and forth and it went on. Time to bolt it back on - I will be using blue locktite

Comment

Clutch cable is on and wow is it hard to pull now with the new springs. No test drive as it just started raining and I am beat. Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
            Clutch cable is on and wow is it hard to pull now with the new springs.
            Did you get official, stock SUZUKI springs?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would be concerned at this point. Prior to the test ride, I would recheck the routing of the cable to make sure there is not any binding occurring. Although others do not do this, I always pre-lube my new cables prior to installation.
              Other than that, is there binding inside the clutch cover itself?
              The pull should be easy and smooth throughout the travel of the lever.

Comment

Is the lever on the clutch cover at a 90 degree angle to the cable?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

One other thing to check (you will have to remove the cover to check it, though):

I think the rod that goes from the top of the clutch cover down to the middle (official name is Pinion, Release) has teeth all the way around it, but it needs to engage the teeth on the mechanism that pushes on the clutch (Rack, Release). It is possible that you might not have the teeth properly engaged, or, if there are not teeth all the way around the Pinion, Release, you might be on the last tooth, and trying to pull on the Rack, Release with a solid rod instead of a tooth.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi guys,

Following morning when I was not as tired I found it not too hard to pull. Seems OK, but I would think if it was really grabbing the front wheel would come up a bit more when pushed hard, if you know what I mean. My 82GS1100GL seems to launch a lot more. But it's better. I should have done what Bill/Chef told me at Tom's memorial last night and pulled the fibers while i had the cover off. Well, I have an extra gasket so maybe I will.

Lever is at 90 degrees.

I'm not sure what you mean, Steve, but maybe if I look at the parts fiche I will understand.

And yes they were "stock" or OEM. I listed the Suzuki part numbers when I started this thread. :-)

Thanks again guys.
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2013, 09:05 PM. Reason: dang ty[os

Comment

Yes, I would have pulled the discs out, knocked the glaze off the fibers, polished the steels, and removed any burrs from the clutch basket.
                      Your lever position is indeterminate at this time, since you removed it prior to removing the cover. What I mean is there is a relationship established between the lever position and the position of the internals of the Release Pinion. You may have altered that relationship when you removed the lever and then re-installed it.

Comment

Sigh. Live and learn!

Comment

How do you think we figured it out?
                          And most of us did not have this forum to help us learn. Well, many of us did not have computers, because they were not around back then, much less the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            With all the linkage intact, squeezing the clutch puts outward pressure on the cover. Might pop it off by itself.
                            Sorry but this is wrong. Squeezing the clutch lever makes the cover pull IN. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Sorry but this is wrong. Squeezing the clutch lever makes the cover pull IN. Ray.
                              I believe Tkent is right it puts pressure outwards on the clutch cover. As the rack is pulled into the clutch release you would have the opposing force out on the cover no?
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X