GS1000/1085 head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000/1085 head gasket

So I am going to order a head gasket for the GS1000/1085 . I see the head gasket is the same on for the 850/1000/1100 from Suzuki. So can I use the OEM one or should I use a Wiseco gasket? The Wiseco gasket is a graphite type as is the OEM, I believe?

Thanks
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

head gasket

I use a cometic gasket on my GS1000/1085, it is a fiber type not a multi layer type. No problems at all
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

+1, use Cometic
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Consensus so far is Cometic

So another question then, are the rest of the Cometic gaskets of good quality to use everywhere else on the engine? I see many posts to use only OEM gaskets
        In the past I have used aftermarket with no problems.

Thanks,
        Daryl
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

The Wiseco kit also uses the Cometic gasket.
          I ordered a bottom end gasket kit from Cometic. They were of good quality and I would not hesitate to order it again.

Comment

Is the oring required for the cam chain valley when using the Cometic gasket?

Daryl

Comment

Call cometic, they are really nice people. They will have the 100% correct answer on that. The part number you want is C8030.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

yes to the O ring, standard SUZUKI part.
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                  yes to the O ring, standard SUZUKI part.
                  Thanks, just making sure as it is $21.....oh well...it's needed so here we go, time to spend money

Thanks,
                  Daryl

Comment

I'll just leave this here:
                    Use this forum to discuss racing your GS. Bike mods, gear requirements as well as sanctioning body requirements are some of things that are talked about in this forum.

Comment

I contacted Cometic, they said the oring is not required.

Regards,
                      Daryl

Comment

Glad you got the correct answer. I remembered reading somewhere that they use a viton coating on the edges of their gaskets eliminating the need for o-rings, but I didn't want to tell you that only for you to find out that it wasn't true.

Ross
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: it said was, but I meant wasn't, sorry

Comment

Working...
                        X