530 conversion on 78gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 conversion on 78gs1000e

I just did the conversion with 17/48. I have read in the forums that the spacer goes "OUTSIDE" of the sprocket ((sprocket butted up on the shaft, spacer, lock washer, nut))

I havent put the chain gaurd on yet, but looked at it both ways and the chain looks to be in a truer / straighter line when the spacer is on the INSIDE of the sprocket. ((spacer, sprocket, lock washer, nut))

The z1 guy originally said on inside , when i told him i read outside he came back and said on outside.

Is there someone with a 78gs1000e that has direct experience with this?

Other than just eyeballing it, is there a way to know when the sprockets are perfectly aligned and true?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

it should go on the outside, to make up the difference in the width of the sprocket so the nut wont bottom out on the threads before tightening up correctly
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You have to make sure your rear wheel is running true before eyeballing it , then you can take a straight edge, or string and hook it onto the back side of the rear sprocket and run it forward to the front sprocket, move it in or out so that it " just" hits the front side of the rear sprocket, that will tell you where it needs to be.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        it should go on the outside, to make up the difference in the width of the sprocket so the nut wont bottom out on the threads before tightening up correctly
        Actually, it will perform this function on either side of the sprocket. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          You have to make sure your rear wheel is running true before eyeballing it , then you can take a straight edge, or string and hook it onto the back side of the rear sprocket and run it forward to the front sprocket, move it in or out so that it " just" hits the front side of the rear sprocket, that will tell you where it needs to be.
          Agreed, alignment is critical, and the eye and/or the marks on the swingarm are not accurate enough.
          There are many easy ways to perform this function. Go here and read and listen a bit. Practice some, then report your results. Everything I have read claims that the washer should go on the outside, but I have no personal experience with the 530 conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Actually, it will perform this function on either side of the sprocket. Think about it.
            yes i know that but if you put the spacer on the inside the front sprocket will be spaced out further and wont line up with the rear.
            he was asking which side he should fit the spacer
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

OK thanks guys. This forum is amazing! I posted a technical question before 6am and here before the sun comes up I have my answer.

I will read up on the alignment issues before I get out there, because as you guessed I was only using the alignment marks.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

I agree on both points. All I was saying is that the function of the relationship between the nut and the threads is performed no matter which side you place the washer.
                The washer is required to allow the nut to tighten down without reaching the end of the threaded portion of the shaft. It is placed on the outside so the alignment of the sprockets remains correct.
                Not arguing, merely clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                  OK thanks guys. This forum is amazing! I posted a technical question before 6am and here before the sun comes up I have my answer.

I will read up on the alignment issues before I get out there, because as you guessed I was only using the alignment marks.
                  its 12.20 pm here in the UK. thats why its great asking questions on here because you can always guarantee someone on the site is awake somewhere in the world..........
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

630 versus 530 Chain

I am in need of a new chain and maybe sprockets as well for my GS1000S, and I believe it's a 630 chain as standard, just wondering why the conversion to a 530 chain?
                    What the advantage or reason for it?

Cheers,

Kiwi Canuck
                    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

630 is an obsolete size now - what is still available is not current technology. 530 has been developed over the last 30 plus years to a high standard.

If you want cutting edge, we're using 520 on our racebike - lighter and narrower if you have tyre clearance issues. Motocross use has developed 520 intensively.

Comment

The main reason to convert is the wide variety of 530 chains, vs. the limited amount of 630 chains available. There is a slight reduction in unsprung weight, but on a 540 pound street motorcycle, will you notice? You will just have a lot more choices out there. And color, too, if you are into that.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks GregT and KK, I found a link on Z1 Enterprise website and got the scoop why the 530 chain makes sense.
                          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Appreciate the quick repsonses.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I have just done this conversion on my GS1000, 17T front and 48T rear with a 114 length chain. Spacer is on the nut side of the sprocket.
                            I chose the 530 conversion because I could get two 530 sprockets and a chain for the same price as a 630 chain on its own.

Comment

Working...
                            X