Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is it ?

I have an 83 gs750 .
    i have put about 100 miles on it . When I got it, the oil was passed the window ,so I knew it was over filled . I finally got around to changing the oil (I know ,should have done it asap).
    When I drained it about 6.5 quarts came out. I am very worried .
    The bike runs fine and shifts much better ,but do think I might have messed anything up?
    Also I put about almost 4 quarts back in it.
    What is the oil capacity in these things?

Thanks in advance guys

Josh

Right around 3800mls, usually a bit more than that though. Not sure if you've done any damage or not from it being over filled, but I'm thinking if you don't see any leaking gaskets or hear anything bad everything is probably fine.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I like 750s...did you get the big welcome post? Reason I ask, there is a lot of information on there to help you solve this question.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        I like 750s...did you get the big welcome post? Reason I ask, there is a lot of information on ther to help you solve this question.

Ed
        I got it,and probably should have checked there first for the capacity.

Comment

You should be fine ! I would guess that you need to check the petcock ! If it was leaking fuel into the motor it would be over full

Comment

+1 on what Lynn said. When you drained the oil it would have been good to check to see if it smelled like fuel. If the fuel petcock is leaking fuel will run down the carbs and into the engine. This leaking fuel will drain past the piston into the crankcase and shows up as overfilled oil. I'm thinking that anyone with enough interest to change the oil would actually put 6 quarts in it, so I'd bet 2/3rds of that was gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
              +1 on what Lynn said. When you drained the oil it would have been good to check to see if it smelled like fuel. If the fuel petcock is leaking fuel will run down the carbs and into the engine. This leaking fuel will drain past the piston into the crankcase and shows up as overfilled oil. I'm thinking that anyone with enough interest to change the oil would actually put 6 quarts in it, so I'd bet 2/3rds of that was gasoline.
              I smelled the oil ,and didn't notice any gas smell. Also I would think with that much gas I would notice a loss of fuel on my gauge,But Maybe not if it is real gradual. I will keep my eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjsmashman View Post
                I smelled the oil ,and didn't notice any gas smell. Also I would think with that much gas I would notice a loss of fuel on my gauge,But Maybe not if it is real gradual. I will keep my eye on it.
                also if it had 2 quarts of gas in it then the smell of gas would have been pretty strong.

Comment

Remove the vacuum line and the fuel line from the petcock. Get 2 lengths of hose and run one from each nipple to its own clear ( dry ) pop bottle. Fill the tank and let it sit a full 24 hrs or more if you dont ride it much during the week. Go and check each bottle and this will tell you which side of the petcock..if any..is leaking.

As for the extra volume in the crankcase..the only thing I can think of is fuel contamination..or the PO was checking the oil on the side stand. GS bikes get the oil checked on the center stand..or have someone hold it upright and balanced as closely as possible.

You also want a very level area too.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The bike is fine. It still rides doesn't it?
                    Just check the petcock and swap out the oil/filter

I had like 7 or 8qts come out of my 750 before.
                    I probably rode for weeks or months like that, before I realized it.
                    These older bikes can really take a Ton of abuse....pretty hard to kill.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Remove the vacuum line and the fuel line from the petcock. Get 2 lengths of hose and run one from each nipple to its own clear ( dry ) pop bottle. Fill the tank and let it sit a full 24 hrs or more if you dont ride it much during the week. Go and check each bottle and this will tell you which side of the petcock..if any..is leaking.

As for the extra volume in the crankcase..the only thing I can think of is fuel contamination..or the PO was checking the oil on the side stand. GS bikes get the oil checked on the center stand..or have someone hold it upright and balanced as closely as possible.

You also want a very level area too.
                      Thanks I will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        The bike is fine. It still rides doesn't it?
                        Just check the petcock and swap out the oil/filter

I had like 7 or 8qts come out of my 750 before.
                        I probably rode for weeks or months like that, before I realized it.
                        These older bikes can really take a Ton of abuse....pretty hard to kill.
                        Cool ,that makes me feel much better.

Comment

I just took it for a 75 mile ride ,and all seems fine.
                          Shifts so much better with the new oil in it! Seems to run smoother as well.

Comment

Do the leak test with it in the ON position..
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjsmashman View Post
                              I have an 83 gs750 .
                              i have put about 100 miles on it . When I got it, the oil was passed the window ,so I knew it was over filled . I finally got around to changing the oil (I know ,should have done it asap).
                              When I drained it about 6.5 quarts came out. I am very worried .
                              The bike runs fine and shifts much better ,but do think I might have messed anything up?
                              Also I put about almost 4 quarts back in it.
                              What is the oil capacity in these things?

Thanks in advance guys

Josh
                              LOL If you have 750 that's holding oil adequately your in good shape

I've has 2 quarts over of oil in my motor a couple of times... Mostly an accident when filling and ran it. Changed the oil every 2k miles so went at least that with the overage. Motor ran fine until I pulled it and swapped in the 1100. I think worst you can do is hurt your gas mileage, the wind-age of the excessive oil will be slowing the moving parts of your bike more... I can't foresee it hurting it unless you put like a gallon too much in...

I wouldn't loose sleep over 2 quarts though..
                              Jedz Moto
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2002 Honda Reflex 250
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                              2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                              Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X