Rear chain Guide Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear chain Guide Replacement

I'm working on a 1981 GS750 EX. I have the head and cylinders off. The rear cam chain guide has chunks out of it and needs to be replaced. From the look of the repair manuals and what I've seen in the forums I have to split the cases to replace it. Anybody know if there is any other way to change the rear cam chain guide.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GlennK,

I have no first hand experience with replacing the cam chain guide but I'm sure others will be along shortly who have. In the meantime you can probably find the procedure in the manual. You will find that and a lot more in the links below. It's the "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here for a couple years. I have taken advantage of the wealth of knowledge found on the GS forum to do maintenance and upgrades to my GS.

Comment

You have to pull the head and cylinders. Splitting the cases is not necessary.
        Last edited by chef1366; 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          You have to pull the head and cylinders. Splitting the cases is not necessary.
          http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...1980&fveh=2136
          This is incorrect. The 1980-82 GS750 engine has to have the cases split to remove the rear chain guide. There is no bolt to hold it in place. it is retained between the case halves.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
            This is incorrect. The 1980-82 GS750 engine has to have the cases split to remove the rear chain guide. There is no bolt to hold it in place. it is retained between the case halves.
            To replace a part that wears.
            WOW
            Sorry for the misinformation
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure the cases had to be split. UGH!
              OK. All the cover plates are off and the engine is on the bench. What is the minimum amount of disassembly necessary to split the cases. I'm not asking for a "how To", just a list of what has to come off. This info would be a great help. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennK View Post
                Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure the cases had to be split. UGH!
                OK. All the cover plates are off and the engine is on the bench. What is the minimum amount of disassembly necessary to split the cases. I'm not asking for a "how To", just a list of what has to come off. This info would be a great help. Thanks.
                The shifter has to come out. Be careful of the springs and small parts on the shifter drum.
                Remove the clutch and you'll see all the brackets that need to come off.
                There are case bolts everywhere! If you have a manual it will tell you where they all are.
                Oil filter cover has to come off too.

Comment

Find some pieces of cardboard for the case half bolts.

Draw a rough picture of the top and bottom halfs with bolt locations, poke holes where the various length/size bolts go.

Zip lock bags for the plates behind clutch. Might be worth taking a picture of the shift shaft orientation behind the clutch or drawing it.

Maybe this is already on Bass's site, but just in case.

I can't remember if the 81 has 2 allen bolts inside the oil filter housing. My friends 83 750ES had them, which made it rather difficult to split the case with them still attached.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Thanks guys. I do have manuals. Last year I changed out the clutch plates and put on a new chain and sprockets (630 to 530 conversion). So I've had all the side covers off except the one over the generator cover. It looks like everything on both side of the motor has to come off to get at all the bolts. I've enough info now to get started.
                    I really appreciate the help and advice. I'm sure I'll need more of it!

Comment

rear cam chain guide replacement-Update

This weekend, I finished getting the cases split and the damaged rear cam chain guide out. There are two allen head bolts in the oil filter housing. I have a factory and a Clymers manual. The Clymers was actually more helpful. It explained what needed to be removed to split the cases. The other manual has better illustrations but shows complete disassembly. Luckily, none of the bolts wrung off and I didn't damage any surfaces. Time to order parts and try to clean off 32 years of gunk.

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                      X