just about to start upper end build 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just about to start upper end build 850

my part have arrived...im rebuilding the upper end on a 30k mile 850 engine(been sitting)

anywho, if i would happen to get a cam out of time, or off a tooth, with it hurt the engine...of course i will double check everything before it is cranked by starter..

i do know to make sure oil light stays on to get those new rings and valve seals nice and hot when first started.....

as apposed to another unanswered question...is there a break in for the new upper end?

i do have the 850 manual downloaded as well to help

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
    my part have arrived...im rebuilding the upper end on a 30k mile 850 engine(been sitting)
    You are rebuilding it just because it's "been sitting"?

anywho, if i would happen to get a cam out of time, or off a tooth, with it hurt the engine...of course i will double check everything before it is cranked by starter.
    Just so you know, if a cam is "off a tooth", it IS "out of time".
    Off by one tooth will not do any damage.
    Off by two teeth might not do any damage.
    Off by three teeth will probably do damage.
    I don't want to think about four teeth.

i do know to make sure oil light stays on to get those new rings and valve seals nice and hot when first started.....
    Please remind me to never let you rebuild MY engine.

Why would you want no lubrication when you start it up? That is the MOST CRITICAL time to have it.

as apposed to another unanswered question...is there a break in for the new upper end?
    What parts are "new"? If you have replaced the rings or honed the cylinders, there WILL be a "break in".
    I'm not going to bother describing a proper break in procedure, since you already have yours planned out.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are rebuilding it just because it's "been sitting"?

it had stuck rings in 3 or the 4 cylinders no idea how long its sat
      , didnt want a leaky jug gasket 5 months from now

Just so you know, if a cam is "off a tooth", it IS "out of time".
      Off by one tooth will not do any damage.
      Off by two teeth might not do any damage.
      Off by three teeth will probably do damage.
      I don't want to think about four teeth.

thats what i needed to know.. ive never been a tooth off, but never done a bike engine

Please remind me to never let you rebuild MY engine.

whats an engine...i was just joking

Why would you want no lubrication when you start it up? That is the MOST CRITICAL time to have it.

What parts are "new"? If you have replaced the rings or honed the cylinders, there WILL be a "break in".
      I'm not going to bother describing a proper break in procedure, since you already have yours planned out.

new rings, honed walls, and valve seals (of course new gaskets)..i dont have a break in planned...all ive broke in was a cam in an old mopar once

And last i have some lucas oil assemly lube...would it hurt to put that on the cam lobes or just use oil intsted...

oh and last..last
      whats the easier way to remove the peice out of the back of the case where the driveshaft bolts to(has 4 bolts gear on inside of trans)...this ones missing some reason
      Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

"i do know to make sure oil light stays on to get those new rings and valve seals nice and hot when first started....." That is the last thing you want to do on a bike is get it nice and hot...warmed up yes but nice and hot? Prelube prelube prelube and prelube some more.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The only prelubing you need to do is fill up the valve pockets with oil. The oil pump will be fine unless you messed with it.

There is nothing special you need to do on the first start up. Get the engine running but don't let it idle for an extended period of time since the engine is air cooled. When you put the bike on the road ride it assertively. Use lots of throttle but don't lug it around. Pressure is needed to seat the rings.

good luck
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            The only prelubing you need to do is fill up the valve pockets with oil. The oil pump will be fine unless you messed with it.

There is nothing special you need to do on the first start up. Get the engine running but don't let it idle for an extended period of time since the engine is air cooled. When you put the bike on the road ride it assertively. Use lots of throttle but don't lug it around. Pressure is needed to seat the rings.

good luck
            i plan on doing the engine when its warm as far as switching them(about a month)...so i guess it wont hurt to do a few redline shift with it all new...maybe some 4th gear 60 0r so mph cruising?..any length of time?

Comment

BEFORE you start it or even turn it over with the starter motor, turn it over a few times by HAND. That way, if your timing is off, you won't bend your nice clean valves on your nice clean pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                BEFORE you start it or even turn it over with the starter motor, turn it over a few times by HAND. That way, if your timing is off, you won't bend your nice clean valves on your nice clean pistons.
                Good suggestion here!

As for break in, just ride it aggressively such as you would if in the city. No lugging, but no racing to redline either. Use throttle, run up though the gears, use gears again for engine for breaking, etc. No need for some fancy break in process per say, just ride it aggressively but don't hammer the thing to death either.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

After I install the cams and the cam chain tensioner I turn it over by hand a few times and re-check the timing.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Good suggestion here!

As for break in, just ride it aggressively such as you would if in the city. No lugging, but no racing to redline either. Use throttle, run up though the gears, use gears again for engine for breaking, etc. No need for some fancy break in process per say, just ride it aggressively but don't hammer the thing to death either.
                    awesome i can do that...

since my current 850 is worn out pretty bad...i may see if she will turn out 13k on my gixxer tach in a gear or 2 for giggles...maybe ill feel like im riding something faster then what it is

how long before i can race/redline it?

Comment

how long before i can race/redline it?
                      Feel free to continue with your original plan and go head and redline it before that dreaded oil light turns off.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Feel free to continue with your original plan and go head and redline it before that dreaded oil light turns off.

that was a joke...i know damn well not to do that..ive rebuilt a few ford 302 an an old 318....everytime i prime the motor way before it sees a starter

the reason i ask is were having a track day with the bikes early spring

Comment

i looked ay my jug today...itys damn near perfect....not a ridge or anything in sight...could i get a scotchbrite pad an wd40 an just clean them up real good? i cant find a ball hone local and really cant afford to buy it an use it once

Comment

No you can't just scotchbrite. Get a ball hone or pay someone to hone the cylinder for you.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Before starting the first time. Fill it with oil and turn it over by hand for about 100 revs. That will prime its oil passageways and help seat the rings.
                              Last edited by Mekanix; 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM.
                              Stephen.
                              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X