No announcement yet.

just about to start upper end build 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a three shoe hone when I want to hone/deglaze, works fine for me. Its much cheaper, available locally and adjusts itself for most any size bore.
    Its a roller bearing crank, so getting oil to the mains and rods isnt critical, as long as the cams were properly prelubed. I use Cam lube very sparingly on my cam lobes and followers every time I disturb them.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      its true, when i worked for Honda you could tell how a new owner "broke" his engine in. 2 identical bikes, 1 would go like hell, the other wouldn't pull the foreskin off a snail.
      1st bike,the owner took it straight from the showroom and rode it how it should be ridden.
      2nd bike, the owner "carefully" ran it in, not putting the engine under load and not revving it too high.

usually bike No.2 could be saved to a degree by thrashing it up the road when it came in for its 1st service. (usually to the owners disgust, but they did have a wry smile on their face after, when they feel how much better the bike rides)
      Keep this in mind as well. Basically, run it like hell after the rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        No you can't just scotchbrite. Get a ball hone or pay someone to hone the cylinder for you.
        There is a reason why all the pros use the ball hone. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
          i looked ay my jug today...itys damn near perfect....not a ridge or anything in sight...could i get a scotchbrite pad an wd40 an just clean them up real good? i cant find a ball hone local and really cant afford to buy it an use it once
          Start calling around to local mechanics or machine shops - I got lucky. After the 10th "no go", I got a machine shop who referred me to a professional motocross mechanic - he only charge me $10 a cylinder!

Personally, the cylinders are one area I don't dare touch myself. Too much potential for serious damage. If possible replace pistons rings too!

Basically I lucked out, but I believe local "Twisted Cycles" shops charge $20 per cylinder. So, 40-80 for a full 4 cyl, or 40 to hone em yourself and potentially make mistakes (like I so often do!)

Good luck, I'll be rebuilding my own 850 once I finish this 1000 =]

Edit:

Once thing you definitely want to do once they're honed is take a rag and some oil - I used wd40 actually - and wiped down your cylinders very carefully. This will remove dust and debris leftover from honing. Also, since you very likely have cast iron sleeve it will prevent some rusting before you get around to reassembly.

Comment

If you used Water Displacement 40 (WD40) to clean it you are not done. You need to wipe it down with some sort of alcohol-based solvent to clean the WD40 residue off, then you need to wipe each cylinder down with some type of oil to prevent rust. Motor oil is readily available and does a fine job.

Comment

what size grit of hone do i need, im just gonna buy one since no one within a 50 mile radius has one...ive used them before, just didnt wanna pay 40 bucks for something i probably wont ever use again

Comment

I use the 320 grit.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  I use the 320 grit.
                  3 inch size right?

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                    3 inch size right?
                    If you are doing your 850, and it has not been bored out beyond stock, it is a 69 mm bore, which is 2.717 inches.
                    I would not use a 3 inch ball honen on it, there might be too much pressure on the walls.
                    Even a 2 3/4 inch hone might be too much, I am not sure.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Once thing you definitely want to do once they're honed is take a rag and some oil - I used wd40 actually - and wiped down your cylinders very carefully. This will remove dust and debris leftover from honing.
                      You really want to wash the cylinders with hot soapy water and a nylon bore brush after using the ball hone. After drying, if a white cloth comes out clean then lubricate them with some clean oil. If not, keep washing them until they are clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        If you are doing your 850, and it has not been bored out beyond stock, it is a 69 mm bore, which is 2.717 inches.
                        I would not use a 3 inch ball honen on it, there might be too much pressure on the walls.
                        Even a 2 3/4 inch hone might be too much, I am not sure.

well crap...its not been bored..i think i was the first one to pull it apart...i cant belive its so stinkin hard to track down a hone, and find the right size...this hone ordeal has set me back already..

Comment

70mm seems like the right size.

I'd get this one...http://www.enginehones.com/234240sc.html

It's 240 grit, but that's fine for a used cylinder.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            70mm seems like the right size.

I'd get this one...http://www.enginehones.com/234240sc.html

It's 240 grit, but that's fine for a used cylinder.
                            thanks ill get one ordered...

also i know most you guys say use oem...z1 has the valve seals for over half the price of oem...are they just as good?...i under estimated the cost of doing this motor by about 150 bucks

Comment

Working...
                            X