MLS head gasket for 16v 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS head gasket for 16v 750?

My little 550/750 bike is already leaking oil out of the head gasket I installed with the 816cc Wiseco kit about a year and a half ago. Still runs great, but I am trying to get this thing back from carrying a rag around with me! When I had the same problem with the Cometic gasket on my 82 1100 engine with a Wiseco kit, Chef1366 was kind enough to sell me a MLS OEM gasket, trimmed to fit the bigger bore. I have been searching for something other than the same thing from Wiseco, but no luck thus far. Not enough room for an 1100, so I guess I gotta fix this one. Any ideas?

I wonder if a stock GS850 gasket would fit?
    Is this an eight valve or sixteen valve?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is a 16 valve from an 82 750T, but the cylinder was frozen and badly damaged. It has an 81 750E cylinder and head. Surface was skimmed when the machine shop did the bore and valve job. It didn't leak oil immediately, but started seeping shortly after the top end build, and has gotten worse with time. Re -checked the torque, but everything seems OK in that regard.

Comment

Have you checked the cometic website?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You didn't mention exactly where the leak was, you might want to check this thread. I believe it is a common problem with 16 valve engines.

Comment

Hmmm ... thanks, I have seepage there too

Comment

The Cometic web site does have an exact replacement gasket for my 70mm bores. Nice thread referral. I'm going to pinpoint it this weekend, because the leak does eminate from the center of the cylinder / cylinder head area, not the outsides... Funny, I don't recall changing those O rings... I will report back, and thanks for your thoughts on this!!

Comment

Update

Yup, pulled both inner head bolts with the O rings, and the left side was split. That sure beats a head gasket! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X