No announcement yet.

Screwed the pooch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. I was able to successfully split the cases and am now ready to clean, weld and powder coat them (eventually). I did miss two bolts, which I could have sword I had removed. I found them after I tried the nut and bolt trick to splitting the halves, so of course, I lost one of those tabs. Yet another little weld job to have done.

Chuck, any reason I should use that particular liquid gasket over other brands? I had just picked up a tube of stuff (not sure what brand) from pep boys earlier this week. Just curious.

Comment

You won't find a case sealer that will work at Pep Boys or any auto parts store.

You need a very specific type of sealer for motorcycle engine cases. Many dirtbike-oriented moto shops will carry a Yamabond brand sealer.

It's also sold under the ThreeBond name. Here's one excellent source:
      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Many bike companies and many mechanics that work in professional shops and dealerships swear by it..and if the bike companies mention it in their manuals ( My Yamaha manual specifically does ) then thats why i suggested it.

Many here also have used, and had no difficulty with other stuff and suggest a place called HOLYMAR...I think Bill ( Chef) , Ray, Ed, and many others here have mentioned Holymar..but youll have to PM them for specific names of the sealers they have used.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          You won't find a case sealer that will work at Pep Boys or any auto parts store.

You need a very specific type of sealer for motorcycle engine cases. Many dirtbike-oriented moto shops will carry a Yamabond brand sealer.

It's also sold under the ThreeBond name. Here's one excellent source:
          http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=TU53-0395
          That's the stuff. The reason everyone is so specific is because this is known not to harden. If your sealant hardens pieces can break off and clog your oil passages. Well tested and proven: and it's not even expensive. One tube would do 3 cases.

If you need to get something locally for speed as mentioned visit your local Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda dealer and get their name-brand bond (YamaBond, SuzukiBond, HondaBond, whatever). It's the same stuff.

Comment

Just a thought…

Would some torch heat applied to the case edges help?
            Maybe soften the seal compound.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Yes heat does help a bit.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Do not use permatex motoseal I learned the hard way that no matter how sparingly you use it it will disintegrate and clog every oiling passage in your motor.

Comment

Once again, thanks for the help. I just dropped the lower case at the welders this morning to repair the crack, reattach the broken tab and help remove the oil filter stud so I can remove that last pesky bolt. Other than that, both halves are soda blasted and I should have them out for powder coat next week.

Comment

Working...
                  X