Replacing valve seals, which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing valve seals, which one?

I've had some smoke out of my left hand pipe which I've figured is most likely a valve seal. Is there an easy way to tell which specific seal it is or should I just go through and replace all 8?

if 1 needs replacing then you can bet they all do.
    replace the lot and be done with it. a good head and valve overhaul will be a good idea while you are at it
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If you are sure it's a valve seal then the usual thing is to replace all of them on the basis that if one has hardened then the others aren't far behind.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Look at it this way: each seal is only a couple of bucks.

The gaskets to take the engine apart and put it back together to change the seals are over $100.

How many times do you want to do the job?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured would be best. It's a shame because the engine only has 14k on it. I think it was just sitting for awhile.

Comment

If it's just valve seals you can ride it anyway if it isn't belching smoke out or drinking too much oil.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Apparently it smokes quite a bit from the left pipe when I'm on it. Not much at idle but my buddy said when I was riding it was pretty smokey.

Comment

I didn't put many miles on it at all last season and it had been sitting before that. Do you think I should just ride it and see if it works itself out first? Maybe a seal needs to loosen up?

Comment

I strongly suggest you do a compression test.

Comment

Valve seals will smoke at startup and when you close the throttle when riding.
                    If it smokes on accel most likely it's rings.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      That was my thought as well, hence the suggestion for a compression check. Although, if just the oil ring is stuck, it may still have good compression.

Comment

I know it would be hard to determine from this but do you think it's likely that they just need to be broken free with riding or they need to be replaced?

Comment

The answer to that question is a resounding "Yes".

IOW, it is impossible to tell. Some have squirted Marvel Mystery Oil down there to try to loosen them.

Comment

Make sure the smoke is oil too before pulling down the engine. Black smoke is due to the carbs, it's white-bluish smoke that's from oil.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              so thats y i smoke everyone out behind me when were playing

Comment

Working...
                              X