Replacing valve seals, which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And...

.. along with the valve seals I heartily recommend at least lapping all the valves in. Will help restore any valve sealing issues. I also agree with the guys who said it could be rings. I would definitely look into that as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll see what I can do to clear it up.

Comment

I think an Italian tune-up will take care of it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

thats pretty cool............
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
            Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll see what I can do to clear it up.
            Well, if you do decide to pull the head, valve stem seals, and valve cover gasket & half-moons from Z1 are much cheaper than OEM and just as good. Use only a Suzuki head gasket though, the after-market ones don't get a lot of good press here...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Just to expound on the Italian Tune Up a bit.

Ever notice that on an engine with a blown head gasket and coolant gets to a cylinder that the cylinder is as clean as the day the engine was made?

Heres why...the coolant instantly crystalises the carbon and its expelled out the exhaust. Its much like if you fry a burger in the skillet and theres the crunchy stuff left behind and you dump water in the hot skillet...the crusty stuff releases rather quickly and you can easily clean the skillet.

So heres what you do to "de-coke" the bikes cylinders. Pull the airbox so you can get directly to the crabs and start the bike with a fan blowing on the engine. Let it warm up real good..say 10 minutes or so that the cylinders are good and hot inside.

Next take a squirt bottle and fill it with cold water. Run the RPMs up to 6 or 7 grand and start squirting the water into the carbs...keep on the throttle and keep the bike running. Squirt the water just to the point that the bike will almost stall,,, but not stall. Do this on each cylinder 4 or 5 times and youll have an engine that is spotless inside the cylinders and the tops of the pistons. It will even knock carbon deposits off the valves.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Back in the day, if a car/truck had a lot of carbon build up on the pistons, we would set it up on a high idle and slowly pour transmission fluid down the carbs and let it smoke like the devil. Then we would take it out and run it hard for a few miles, seemed to work.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  So heres what you do to "de-coke" the bikes cylinders. Pull the airbox so you can get directly to the carbs and start the bike with a fan blowing on the engine. Let it warm up real good..say 10 minutes or so that the cylinders are good and hot inside.

Next take a squirt bottle and fill it with cold water. Run the RPMs up to 6 or 7 grand and start squirting the water into the carbs...keep on the throttle and keep the bike running.
                  Seems I've read on here a slightly different technique - instead of removing the airbox to get access to the engine's intake, remove the sync screw from each cylinder intake port & inject water at that point using an eye-dropper or similar...

I don't like messing with airbox removals myself - too many tools get tossed .
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I like to be able to mist the water into the carb intakes...and wouldnt removing the sync screws cause a heck of a vacuum leak and make keeping the engine running harder...and youll need all 4 open at the same time, so I cant see the practicality of doing it that way.

Many bikes you can get to the throats without totally removing the airbox..such as the 750s. And you can access the intakes thru the airbox on the 1000s by removing the upper half and squirting into each hole from the back.

Also on the 1000s, you have to remove the carbs before you can remove the airbox.
                    My 750 airbox is off in a matter of a few minutes..and no removing the carbs first.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                      Yeah that's what I figured would be best. It's a shame because the engine only has 14k on it. I think it was just sitting for awhile.
                      Since it's left hand pipe smoke, make sure you rule out the possibility of petcock dribbling gas into #2 before you go tearing into an engine at 14k. Personally, I'd run it some more and offer sacrifices. Find out if oil is disappearing.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ferarri, huh? I always figured that phrase came from a bunch of Italian guys in Jersey getting rowdy. Didn't know it was so "sophisticated."
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

A lot of these bikes smoke when they come out of storage. It could be running rich, or carbon build up in the cylinders or exhaust.

If the bike rides and pulls strong....just ride it. It's not going to explode.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                            Valve seals will smoke at startup and when you close the throttle when riding.
                            If it smokes on accel most likely it's rings.
                            This. I've got the same problem, 81 GS750. Smokes out of left 2 to 1 pipe on start-up. Usually (blue)smokes when revved, not really sure about when I close the throttle(its been a while and I dont ride behind me much) and burns oil. Goes away after a while of riding. I'm looking to get work done soon or attempt it myself and would like to buy the bits to fix it.

I laid down the bike this past fall so a compression test would require me to re-assemble and fill with oil to fire. can you do a compression test without turning over the starter?

Edit: So by re assemble I've got my carbs off and stator cover removed.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weeksz View Post
                              I laid down the bike this past fall so a compression test would require me to re-assemble and fill with oil to fire. can you do a compression test without turning over the starter?

Edit: So by re assemble I've got my carbs off and stator cover removed.
                              If you have a kick starter and a strong leg, you could do it without using the starter.

If all you have off is the carbs and the stator cover (which means there is probably no oil in it) put a 2x4 under the left foot of the centerstand, put in at least 3 quarts of oil, then go ahead and use the electric starter. Not having carbs on is actually a PLUS, as there is NO restriction. You are supposed to hold the throttle wide open, anyway.

By the way, where do you live that you managed to get an '89 GS750?

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you have a kick starter and a strong leg, you could do it without using the starter.

If all you have off is the carbs and the stator cover (which means there is probably no oil in it) put a 2x4 under the left foot of the centerstand, put in at least 3 quarts of oil, then go ahead and use the electric starter. Not having carbs on is actually a PLUS, as there is NO restriction. You are supposed to hold the throttle wide open, anyway.

By the way, where do you live that you managed to get an '89 GS750?

ok thanks. well I've got no centerstand. and i was just kidding its an 81..

Comment

Working...
                                X