Motorcycle crankcase breather tanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle crankcase breather tanks.

these have been discussed on the site before, some like them some don't, some think they are a good idea, some think they are a waste of time.

either way, you look for them on ebay or wherever and all you seem to find is car orientated tanks which are far to big for motorcycles.

so, i decided to design a motorcycle specific tank.small, but with a 200Ml capacity they are plenty enough for most engines,(unless you have serious engine problems.
    they come in 2 variations, upright or horizontal,

they have built in level sight glasses or the upright one can have an external level sight tube. there is a built in vent at the top and a drain at the bottom.
    any amount of inlet fittings can be added (within reason)
    mounting is easy, big jubilee clips, zip ties or make a decent bracket and pop rivet it on(see white one).
    they are metal so can be painted,powder coated or chromed, which would look fab

drain valves are schrader valves with the guts ripped out so you can add extensions,angled adapters or flexi adapters to allow for easy draining.

what does everyone think?
    Last edited by Agemax; 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Looks great to me!
    What would the dimensions be?
    I suppose you need to add a breather kind of filter?
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
      Looks great to me!
      What would the dimensions be?
      I suppose you need to add a breather kind of filter?
      they are 54mm diameter and approximately 120mm in length, they have a built in breather filter on the top but it can be replaced by a tube if you wish to fit a small k&n style filter on the top instead
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Interesting and good looking project. Good luck with the marketing.

My '80 Honda XL had one from the factory. Not near as nice as what you have put together.

Comment

You might laugh, but I have a Coke bottle with a part of a rag and a big hole cut in it for breather filter. Been running it for 6 months or so and to my surprise the filter isnt even wet, some day I will buy a proper filter for it

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            You might laugh, but I have a Coke bottle with a part of a rag and a big hole cut in it for breather filter. Been running it for 6 months or so and to my surprise the filter isnt even wet, some day I will buy a proper filter for it
            the filter should not get wet, if it does you are in BIG trouble. the filter is there to allow fumes and and pressure build up to escape.
            the bottle is there to collect any moisture/fluid then gets blown out the engine
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Adrian...I am not familiar with "ML" size..is this basically the size of a soup can I am guessing?
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Adrian...I am not familiar with "ML" size..is this basically the size of a soup can I am guessing?
                200 ml = 6.76280454 US fluid ounces
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

The reason I ask is this.

If you look at part 24 this is the breather hose for the TX I have. There are no fittings on the airbox for recycle like our GSs do.

So as a consiquence, it basically open vents right above the front flat area of the swing arm and oil splatters back onto the pipes. There seems to be some kind of plastic nipple broke off in the end but i can find any pics showing a vapor catch tank. This may be my fix for stopping the mess!!

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The reason I ask is this.

If you look at part 24 this is the breather hose for the TX I have. There are no fittings on the airbox for recycle like our GSs do.

So as a consiquence, it basically open vents right above the front flat area of the swing arm and oil splatters back onto the pipes. There seems to be some kind of plastic nipple broke off in the end but i can find any pics showing a vapor catch tank. This may be my fix for stopping the mess!!

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...7788#sch219116
                    this is the exact reason these tanks are designed for Chuck, catch any fluid but vent any fumes or pressure build up.

All GS's have them as stock, it called the air box!
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

As such that I stated...but what about the Yamaha TX? Why would there seem to be a broken plastic nipple in the end of the tube, but yet there isnt any catch tank in any of the fiches? This is what is perplexing me.

I will need a catch tank of some sort and your pictures have sparked some ideas.

Comment

I also should add that there are no obvious mounts or brackets that would suggest there was an OEM mounting for any catch tank.

Comment

I also should add that there are no obvious mounts or brackets that would suggest there was an OEM mounting for any catch tank.
                          are you sure it shouldn't go to a fitting maybe in the swingarm or frame maybe?
                          my only other guess is that the pipe is from a different bike, with the broken part still in the tube???????
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Adrain...look at the fiche I posted...its the OEM tube...but where does it go at the open end is the mystery. And as i stated earlier, there is NOT a nipple on the airbox for recycle of the vapor/ oil droplets.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-08-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Adrain...look at the fiche I posted...its the OEM tube...but where does it go at the open end is the mystery. And as i stated eralier, there is NOT a nipple on the airbox for recycle of the vapor/ oil droplets.
                              yes i have looked. i only asked because i dont know if it is the OEM tube you have fitted or just any old pipe off another bike.
                              i know you said there is no nipple on the airbox........what about the oil tank?

i dont know because i know nothing about this bike!!!!!!
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X