Clutch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch issues

Okay, hopefully someone can point me in a direction... 78 gs750.

Basically, if I squeeze the clutch in, I can't roll the bike in Gear, unless I push pretty hard. Neutral rolls perfectly fine though.

This problem happened out of nowhere.

I've checked all the cable settings, tried loosening and tightening, doesn't make a difference. I've checked the clutch discs, and watched the basket operate, and can't see any problems.

I noticed the large nut that holds the clutch basket assembly On, is loose!

Do you think this could be the problem?

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
    I noticed the large nut that holds the clutch basket assembly On, is loose!
    You could tighten it and see if it makes a difference. Good time to switch over to an APE nut. Are you riding this bike ? If its sitting the plates could just be gummed up. Got any notches in the basket that the plates are hanging up on ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yep, this bike gets ridden quite often.
      I checked the discs, and they all move freely with springs out.

I'm going to tighten that nut down, and see what happens.
      It's not my daily rider, so I have nothing to lose.

Comment

Tightened the nut down, didn't make a difference.

But...on the opposing side of the tranny case, I did find something weird.
        The clutch release portion appears very seized up, so I'm going to grease everything up, install a new Clutch cable, and set everything back to base settings...and hope for the best! The clutch lever settings appear totally maxed out...so maybe this ****ing cable DID stretch over time, and I never noticed it.
        (I never had any problems with this bike...until I loaned it to my brother to ride! haha)
        Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2013, 01:32 AM.

Comment

A few months ago, I suddenly started having a problem finding neutral and noticed the bike would jump a little when putting it in first gear. I adjusted the clutch cable and problem solved..until the cable broke. I believe the reason the cable suddenly stretched was that some of the strands at the clutch lever end had broken. Replacing the cable is a good idea.
          1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
            A few months ago, I suddenly started having a problem finding neutral and noticed the bike would jump a little when putting it in first gear. I adjusted the clutch cable and problem solved..until the cable broke. I believe the reason the cable suddenly stretched was that some of the strands at the clutch lever end had broken. Replacing the cable is a good idea.
            I had a clutch cable break on my GS1100E, but before it did, it stretched out quite a bit, no visible evidence of it getting ready to give, I just kept adjusting it, and then it finally broke. I found a straightened out kink in the cable when I replaced it, midway through it's length, surely it weakened the inner cable and the strands were breaking one by one, but it operated smooth as silk until it broke.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I echo the above...cable stretch and loose adjuster jam nuts are the two things that would alert me.

May be time to preemptively swap out the cable..we all know they never snap in the driveway!!!!
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                ..we all know they never snap in the driveway!!!!
                Actually that's where mine broke, in the driveway! I got it warmed up to take it out for a spin, went to pull the clutch in so I could put it gear and it broke.

I can do pretty well shifting without the clutch, but I don't normally do it.
                It's just the starting off and stopping that are the problem. The trick is try not to stop.
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

Ive onlyn had one sanp and i was about 5 miles from home..this was on the ( now sold ) 98 honda shadow. Luckily a buddy was with me and i gave him my gate keys and truck keys. He rode to my house and got my truck and trailer.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Same with me, I was five miles away. Not a good feeling when it lets go. Luckily my friends house was a push away and I just bought a new cable and threw it on there.

Comment

I was just leaving an NA meeting and on the way to bike night uptown..hit second gear and the lever was flopping like a fish on the beach.

Comment

I think if I were on open roads I could quite possibly make it home, or at least to a place where I can either get or call for help. Once you stop, you're done. It's quite hard to push start in gear.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          Actually that's where mine broke, in the driveway! I got it warmed up to take it out for a spin, went to pull the clutch in so I could put it gear and it broke.

I can do pretty well shifting without the clutch, but I don't normally do it.
                          It's just the starting off and stopping that are the problem. The trick is try not to stop.
                          Yep, keep rolling if you can. I was about 10 miles from home when my cable broke. Had to blow through a couple of stop signs and made a right, then quick u-turn, to get around a red light. This was the first time I had to power shift the 1100 and it shifted quite well with just throttle control.

I didn't have to try, but I suspect if I had to stop, it would have started in gear since it was warmed up.
                          1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Suicide clutch, fabbed in the Home Depot parking lot in Daytona about a year ago. Followed by an interesting ride home

Comment

EDIT: Ok guys, got her dialed in, everything works good! Thanks for all of the input!
                              I ripped her up and down the highway at full throttle, no slippage or funny issues. =)
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X