Crankshaft twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshaft twist

Last fall I had my engine out to fix a few things. After I torqued the head down, I used a degree wheel and piston stop to check for crank twist. I found there was 1.25-1.5 degree difference between #1 and #4. I double and triple checked it to make sure. The crank in it is an '83 big end welded crank. I bought the engine from a guy that had the bike sitting in his basement since the mid 80's. The welds are all factory except the right side where the end was removed and rewelded for some reason, maybe an exploded clutch. So I think maybe the guy who did it didnt get the indexing right before welding it. I had no way of checking the crank for twist until the head was on or I would have stopped and fixed it before putting it all together, but since i had just put it back together, I just left it and have been running it for a few months. There is not any excess vibration that I can tell, but its the only 1100 based engine I have ridden.
    I have heard of engines with 20 degrees of twist still running, albeit with less power and more vibration.
    So, how much of a problem is my little bit of crank twist? Of the original engine the only major parts left are the crank and cases
    If I had the energy, money and time I would tear it apart again, but is it really worth it??

"If I had the energy, money and time I would tear it apart again, but is it really worth it?? "
    Nope, not for 1.5 degree error and ,besides, spring is due soon!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Gear, if you are racing it, take it apart & have it fixed. If you are just using it for transportation, as long as it isn't vibrating, ride it. Ray.

Comment

Working...
      X