Lost neutral light after valve adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost neutral light after valve adjust

Any idea how this could have happened? I guess I pulled too hard on one of the wires I pulled out of the way to get the cam cover off.

I don't know what bike you have, however, I encountered a similar instrumentation issue and here's what I discovered.

I found that a connector plug underneath the tank that looked very much connected was slightly loose. I unplugged it, cleaned the pins & receptacles, snapped it firmly back together & lighting returned to normal operation.

Of course it could be as simple as a burned out light bulb inside the cluster.
    Depending on model.

Check the connector coupling unit first,
    Then the light bulb, if that fails
    break out the circuit tester and start testing.

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
      Any idea how this could have happened? I guess I pulled too hard on one of the wires I pulled out of the way to get the cam cover off.
      Like Notz, and anybody else who happens to read this, we have NO idea what bike you are talking about (please put that in your signature), but fortunately, most of them are similar.

Remove the tank, look above the carbs for a single blue wire. It will likely run alongside a bundle of five or six wires (depending on what bike you have) that goes down toward your left footpeg. The bundle of five or six wires is for your gear position indicator, the single blue wire is for your neutral light. Check the connector near the top, where it exits the main harness.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Like Notz, and anybody else who happens to read this, we have NO idea what bike you are talking about (please put that in your signature), but fortunately, most of them are similar.

Remove the tank, look above the carbs for a single blue wire. It will likely run alongside a bundle of five or six wires (depending on what bike you have) that goes down toward your left footpeg. The bundle of five or six wires is for your gear position indicator, the single blue wire is for your neutral light. Check the connector near the top, where it exits the main harness.

Steve probably right,
        You just might've disconnected or otherwise opened the connection somehow in the area you were working.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

While riding it came back on OK, but I did press together all the wires to make sure.

Thanks, sorry for not listing the bike, 80GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
            Thanks, sorry for not listing the bike, 80GS1100E
            Now add that to your signature.

If you are not sure how to do that, send me a PM, I'll 'talk' you through it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Now add that to your signature.

If you are not sure how to do that, send me a PM, I'll 'talk' you through it.

I had one but when was doing updates for TomMLC I removed it, but thanks

Comment

Working...
              X