Shop Cost to adjust valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop Cost to adjust valves

What should I expect to pay for that at a shop..there is a good one in town and its not a main dealer shop

way too much. do it yourself, learn a bit about your bike and spend the cash on something else........
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Probably a lot, if they were even willing to do it. You can do the valves yourself for a couple dollars in like an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        Probably a lot, if they were even willing to do it. You can do the valves yourself for a couple dollars in like an hour.
        Link to some site that has a walk threw?

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          way too much. do it yourself, learn a bit about your bike and spend the cash on something else........
          I want it done right..I dont want to screw up the engine while I try to learn

Comment

Originally posted by gsvol View Post
            I wont it done right..I dont want to screw up the engine while I try to learn
            you wont learn anything by paying other people to do it for you.
            use the search function, there are walk throughs on the site
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Comment

Post up where you are and what you ride. There is probably someone here not too far from you that would be willing to come over and assist you.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that old bikes like ours are best owned by do it yourselfers, or rich people. 30+ year old bikes need lots of maintenance.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Sadsak View Post
                    Post up where you are and what you ride. There is probably someone here not too far from you that would be willing to come over and assist you.
                    Johnson City TN 1981 GS750L

Comment

You might end up paying shop rates for an hour or more for somebody to just scrape off a hardened cam cover gasket and not even adjust your valves if they are all ok.

Scraping off an old gasket might be boring but it's not difficult.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        You might end up paying shop rates for an hour or more for somebody to just scrape off a hardened cam cover gasket and not even adjust your valves if they are all ok.

Scraping off an old gasket might be boring but it's not difficult.
                        well what are the symptoms when they are out? its got 16k on it

Comment

Don't wait for the symptoms. You need to check the clearances. It can be too late when you start getting symptoms - loads of these bikes fell by the wayside because the valve clearances weren't checked.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Agreed and Opinion

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            I'm of the opinion that old bikes like ours are best owned by do it yourselfers, or rich people. 30+ year old bikes need lots of maintenance.
                            That's why I bought my second "T"...so I can perform a breakdown of each component and learn from my mistakes.

I was lucky in that initally my "T" was in the shop and I know the owner; he worked on my first bike (Y2K Gixxer750) and I spent about $500 in 6 months. (Money well spent IMO)

It cost me roughly $300 to get my "T" road-worthy...again, money well-spent since I was in a bind at home with my bike. (Personal matter)

So roughly $800 in maintenance but like Nessism said, rich people who like to spend $$. I don't consider myself rich but some would not spend what I did but that's why we're all different.

EDIT: OP--do the clearance yourself and with a little bit of confidence, you'll be fine. Also, if you haven't done so, put your location/bike in your signature. Just goto USER CP and update.

Ed
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2013, 08:26 PM.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

How often does this need to be done?

Comment

Working...
                              X