No announcement yet.

Shop Cost to adjust valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a local guy that is suppose to be good, said he would come to my house and do it and I could watch charge me 100.00

Comment

so someone mentioned an hour to do a valve job, and a couple of bucks...

and you want to fork over 100 bucks for an hours work....hmmmmm

I would suggest you try and do the work and if you find your getting nowhere with it, then call in for some help....

give it a shot at least....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        so someone mentioned an hour to do a valve job, and a couple of bucks...

and you want to fork over 100 bucks for an hours work....hmmmmm

I would suggest you try and do the work and if you find your getting nowhere with it, then call in for some help....

give it a shot at least....

Did I say an hour?

He is coming to "MY" house and do the adjust and sync the carbs and he provides the gasket

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
          Probably a lot, if they were even willing to do it. You can do the valves yourself for a couple dollars in like an hour.
          Originally posted by gsvol View Post
          Did I say an hour?

He is coming to "MY" house and do the adjust and sync the carbs and he provides the gasket
          no you didn't mention the hour....Toasty mentioned it...earlier

most of the guys are suggesting to you to at least try and give it a shot, it's the best way to learn and to know for future items that need to be done....

I don't do everything either, but I do try to do things on my own first one has to at least give it a shot, sometimes one can surprise ones self...

Comment

Did I say an hour?

Is he only going to work on the carbs? I hope he is bringing a bunch of shims with him to adjust the valves. Or is he just going to check to see if they are within spec?

Btw we don't mean to give you a hard time. Paying someone to do it for you is fine but most of the time shops don't know how to work on older bikes, and you end up paying a fortune doing all the little maintenance things these old bikes need.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Still, even if you have someone do it while you watch, you'd probably be better off knowing what is involved. And when you see him do it, you'd probably be thinking, "damn, I should've done this myself"

Go to BikeCliff's site.

Find the "service" manual for your bike.
              I'm assuming hopefully correct that you have the 16 valve head.
              If you do, those valve adjustment procedures start on page 2-5.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Replies

How often does this need to be done?
                See sedelen's reply...which is what I was going to post for frequency of adjustment.

Is he only going to work on the carbs? I hope he is bringing a bunch of shims with him to adjust the valves. Or is he just going to check to see if they are within spec?

Btw we don't mean to give you a hard time. Paying someone to do it for you is fine but most of the time shops don't know how to work on older bikes, and you end up paying a fortune doing all the little maintenance things these old bikes need.
                Everyone on GSR (including me) is VERY opinionated (some more than others)...as is with all FORUMS and walk of life but I can only say that based on what I've read here.

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                Still, even if you have someone do it while you watch, you'd probably be better off knowing what is involved. And when you see him do it, you'd probably be thinking, [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]"damn, I should've done this myself"[/COLOR]

Go to BikeCliff's site.

Find the "service" manual for your bike.
                I'm assuming hopefully correct that you have the 16 valve head.
                If you do, those valve adjustment procedures start on page 2-5.
                He has a 1981 750L which is 2 valves per cylinder. Most of what BassCliff does is for 2V models/shafties anyway.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I hope he is bringing a bunch of shims with him to adjust the valves.
                  I have always been under the impression that the 750s were 16-valvers, starting with the '80 models.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  He has a 1981 750L which is 2 valves per cylinder. Most of what BassCliff does is for 2V models/shafties anyway.
                  See my comment above about 8 vs 16 valves.

"Most of what BassCliff does" is actually for his bike, which happens to be an 8-valve 850 shafty.

However, he happily posts other stuff on his website stuff for 16-valve bikes and also ones that are chain-driven.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I know that...and I appreciate his write-ups

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I have always been under the impression that the 750s were 16-valvers, starting with the '80 models.

See my comment above about 8 vs 16 valves.

"Most of what BassCliff does" is actually for his bike, which happens to be an 8-valve 850 shafty.

However, he happily posts other stuff on his website stuff for 16-valve bikes and also ones that are chain-driven.

EDIT: When did the 16V get started? More research to be done...cause I don't know off the top of my head.

Well, DUH!

I know that's what he owns...I'm at least smart enough to read what he "writes-up". He gets very upset when people don't read his FREE info on how to maintain our GS'.

I'm very happy to have found GSR because even though I have to deal with replies to posts, it's still a learning experience which I feel is priceless.

Thanks for your response.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM.
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      EDIT: When did the 16V get started? More research to be done...cause I don't know off the top of my head.
                      The chain-driven 750s and 1100s started with 16 valves in the 1980 model year. The 550 joined them in 1983.

Some markets other than the USA had smaller bikes (400? 250?) with four valves per cylinder, as well.

Don't feel bad, we all learn something on this board every day.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Much Appreciated

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The chain-driven 750s and 1100s started with 16 valves in the 1980 model year. The 550 joined them in 1983.

Some markets other than the USA had smaller bikes (400? 250?) with four valves per cylinder, as well.

Don't feel bad, we all learn something on this board every day.

Thanks Steve, I love learning and will never argue about that...

I was doing some research and learned what you just posted...Thanks!

My thought process is to learn...anyone helping me is a bonus.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I want it done right..I dont want to screw up the engine while I try to learn
                          I feel for you. Especially as I keep doing things wrong and breaking parts. But this site helped me do things myself and I do feel pretty good about it and I know why something goes wrong or is about to go wrong. This weekend I did valve adjust, carb sync, clutch adjust, oil change and chain clean/lube.

Of course my wife and kids hate all the weekends and nights I spend in the garage fiddling so sometimes I do wish I could let someone else do it. Problem is there is nobody around here who wants to work on these old bikes because they end up breaking stuff, too. The one guy someone said i should try talked me out of leaving the bike with him but did tell me how to do the work myself. I guess the moral is, if you want someone else to work on your bike, buy a newer bike!

Comment

I can Relate

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                            I feel for you. Especially as I keep doing things wrong and breaking parts. But this site helped me do things myself and I do feel pretty good about it and I know why something goes wrong or is about to go wrong. This weekend I did valve adjust, carb sync, clutch adjust, oil change and chain clean/lube.
                            Well, good for you! I plan on learing "HOW TO" do these tasks on my own very soon.

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                            Of course my wife and kids hate all the weekends and nights I spend in the garage fiddling so sometimes I do wish I could let someone else do it. Problem is there is nobody around here who wants to work on these old bikes because they end up breaking stuff, too. The one guy someone said i should try talked me out of leaving the bike with him but did tell me how to do the work myself. I guess the moral is, if you want someone else to work on your bike, buy a newer bike!
                            I feel for you...I have 2 adult children but they are slowly starting to learn that Dad needs his own time with his bike. I don't interrupt their lives but somehow it's OK to task me when they need me. It gets old and sorry if it seems like I'm venting.

It's great to be able to work on our bikes...but sometimes we have to deal with family and of course that comes first.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Yep! Family first. I took half day Sunday with my kids but in the afternoon when my wife wanted to send me on an errand I put my foot down and of course later realized I could have handled it better. But dang it, I wanted to get the bike back together before Sunday was over

Comment

Working...
                              X