Do I need a conrod stopper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a conrod stopper?

Manual says I need one of these if I am going to remove the clutch springs. See below. Why is this and is there another way to accomplish the same?

It also shows in use a "clutch sleeve hub holder", which I may not need because I only plan on replacing the "clutch drive plates and driven plates". But if I had to replace the clutch basket would I need this tool or is there another way to accomplish the same?

Thanks!
    -Bob

An old steel, driven plate, with a handle welded to it will do the job. Also someone holding the rear brake with the bike in gear and hit it with the impact will work too.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
      An old steel, driven plate, with a handle welded to it will do the job. Also someone holding the rear brake with the bike in gear and hit it with the impact will work too.

Is this for the "clutch sleeve hub holder" and not the conrod stopper?

Comment

Yes, it would be the hub holder. Only time I have seen a conrod stopper used is when reinstallinga block. And for that a piece of wood with a slot cut in it that'the conrod fits in, then when the piston comes down onto the wood it keeps the crank from turning.
        Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
        2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

for the clutch plate bolts, to hold the engine from turning, you can place a rag in between the primary gears.

maybe it won't work on this application, but I ALWAYS stuff a rag in the teeth between the primary gear and the crank gear..

for the inner hub nut I remove it with my electric rigid impact..

re-installing , I hold the basket to torque the inner nut, with a homemade tool, and use a rag again to block the primary.

It is quick and easy, if you can do it.

Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
            for the clutch plate bolts, to hold the engine from turning, you can place a rag in between the primary gears.

maybe it won't work on this application, but I ALWAYS stuff a rag in the teeth between the primary gear and the crank gear..

for the inner hub nut I remove it with my electric rigid impact..

re-installing , I hold the basket to torque the inner nut, with a homemade tool, and use a rag again to block the primary.

It is quick and easy, if you can do it.

Very nice, thanks for the picture, too.

Comment

Working...
            X