1982 GS550L valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550L valve adjustment

I have 3 manuals but apparently wrong model-year because the carbs shown are different. Mine has CV carbs. I have 2 manuals on late 70's (one oem, one Clymer) and 1 Haynes 82-86 but it shows different carbs as well. Would valve adjustment be correct as shown in these manuals? Is there a thread that covers it here? Thanks.

LINKY

All the info you'll need is on this forum and on BassCliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/) .

Comment

Basscliff has it all......

edit: I need to be faster
      Last edited by tom203; 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM. Reason: speed
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The procedure is the same for all the four-cylinder bikes with 2 valves per cylinder (like yours).

Your manuals should cover the subject, but may not do it completely or correctly.

There is an excellent tutorial on BassCliff's site that shows you everything you need to know, but it supplements the service manual, it does not replace it.

The hardest concept to wrap your head around is that you position the cams according to the manual, then check TWO clearances before moving anything. After a small crankshaft rotation, you check two more. Another rotation, another two valves. Yep, one more time and you are done with the measuring part.

The fun comes if you decide to inventory your shims so you know what's in there. If any of your clearances are out of spec, you will need to change those shims anyway, the rest of them will just be on file for the next go-around.

This would also be the perfect time to invite you to take advantage of the offer in my sig.

EDIT: I see in your other post that you are selling two of your manuals and you mention them here. Are you SURE you have an '82 550? I ask that because the 550s from whenever they started ('77?) through 1982 were 8-valve engines and used shims for valve adjustments. Starting with the 1983 model year, they went to 16 valves, which used screw adjusters. Note that the '83 bikes were produces as early as about August or September of '82, so you would see an '82 date on your '83 bike. Please verify which model you have before selling any of your manuals. If you do, indeed, have an '82, I would suggest that you keep the factory manual and the Clymer, but sell the Haynes. If you have an '83 bike, the Haynes is the only one that has relevant information, so sell the other two.

Last edited by Steve; 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Suszukid,

Many manuals will cover different years/models of the same bike. There will be different sections covering the differences between the models.

The valve adjustment procedures really don't have anything to do with the carbs, but you knew that. Well, I guess it's "best practice" to vacuum balance (synchronize) the carbs after a valve adjustment. But I digress...

I think the '82 GS550 is an 8-valve engine (round cam end caps on the top of the engine). If so, use that procedure. If by chance you have an engine with the square cam end caps, you have a 16-valve engine. Use the 16-valve adjustment procedure. You will find both on my little website.

Now let me greet you properly with the "mega-welcome.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

BC, thanks for your reply and the incredible info you provide. I do have the round caps so 2 v per cylinder. I have been thru CV carb cleaning as described here. Replaced intake O-rings, sealed air box as suggested. Verified timing is correct. Bought manometers and synched carbs. Running pretty good at this point but wanted to check valve adjustment just to see...

Steve, I do have 82 as per title. But I was mistaken in that my Haynes manual is actually 83-88. When I got my bike I started buying up GS550 manuals without regard to yr, hoping they wouldnt vary too much...At this point, I will use BC's site and try to find or download a proper manual.

Then all I will need is an end to this freezing weather...

Thanks to all for replies.

Comment

Working...
            X