Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's this hole and why is it leaking oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this hole and why is it leaking oil?

I found a hole in my engine. Pretty sure it's always been there, but now it's leaking oil and it's never done that before.
    I've never noticed this hole before, I don't know it's purpose or what's supposed to be in there.

Is there supposed to be a screw or bolt in there? A plug? I've never noticed it before but ran the bike for a little while in the driveway, came out and there was a bunch of oil beneath it. The culprit seems to be this hole which is definitely leaking oil.

It's under the engine in a little compartment just to the front of the clutch sensor.

I tried to get a pic of it but my casesavers are kind of in the way.

I've been looking through my hayne's manual and can't find a reference to it or what's supposed to be in there.

Can anyone help with this? I'm really stumped. I'm thinking I'll need to pull the clutch cover off to see what's going on, but I'm not sure that will get me to this spot.

I recently removed my oil pan to replace the gasket because I thought that might be the source of my leaking oil, which was pretty minor.

Otherwise, I haven't been having any problems with the bike and actually rode it in to work yesterday. Today, I pushed it into the driveway, wiped it down and ran the engine for a little while.

Then I let it sit. I wanted to see how my oil level was. Anyway, like I said, I came back out and there was a lot of oil on the ground, way more than my bike has ever leaked before.

Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mystery hole.....

Another one.
    Last edited by allojohn; 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

There should be a panic alarm sound file attached to every new post concerning the Mystery Hole!

Comment

Aw man! Now I'm one of those didn't-search-first guys! Dangit!

Well, thanks for directing me to the previous posts.

Honestly, I should know better by now but I had no idea what the hell to call this thing. Mystery hole is as good as any.

Thanks again -

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post

Honestly, I should know better by now but I had no idea what the hell to call this thing. Mystery hole is as good as any.

Thanks again -
          LOL, no worries. Absolutely, how can you know what to search for?
          But, there's always somebody ready to point us in the right direction.......pass it on.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

What year and model is that??

Comment

If you mean for my bike, it's a 1980 GS850G.

Comment

If you mean for my bike, it's a 1980 GS850G.
                No, he means the hole…
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Ok,I had an 850 but never got too in depth with it..look at this,you might find out what the hole is..Good Luck

[http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...fan;1835094]If you mean for my bike, it's a 1980 GS850G.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to Mr. bwringer for the pictures.

The "mystery hole" drains oil that might overflow from the secondary gear case, or water that might accumulate in the starter cavity.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ohhhhhhh now yhat there are some pictures,I could say my 78 gs1000 motor don't have that hole.I DID have a problem with a similal leak and it turned out to be the O-ring on the starter.I dont know why the hose is in there,but it might jus be a drain hole for in case the O-ring fails so it could drain without filling up the starter well.Also that link I sent show pictures along with names to parts...MadMike

Comment

The hose is there in the picture for illustrative purposes: it is not a normal feature.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                          The hose is there in the picture for illustrative purposes: it is not a normal feature.
                          Oh i see.another GS fact learned..I KNEW it was some kind of drain.I just didnt know for what and guessed at the starter..oooooooppps

Comment

mystery hole

My GS1000 leaked oil if i gave it the beans, but normal riding it was ok. It was the O ring seal on the starter motor.
                            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

How about sticking a peice of bubble gum it it???LOL Only kidding,just leave it and let it be a hole...MadMike

Thanks again -

Comment

Working...
                              X