Ring Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Size

Can anyone tell me the ring size (all measurements) for a 79 GS750... to make a long story short I found a set of rings for my XV 920 Virago at Grants Pistonrings.. and they have a minimum charge of $100.00 ... so if I can get the right measurements for my 750 I can get them there as well and make the $100.00 charge... BTW the rings for the Virago are discontinued so I had to look through 60 pages of rings to match them and I was lucky enough to find a perfect match... ring for a VW of all things... BTW your help would be greatly appreciated... my 750 is my rider so I have no way of measuring the rings at this time...

I am reasonably certain that you can find that information in a service manual.

You evidently don't have one, so click HERE and get your own copy.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve I do have one and obviously you haven't looked to see what specs are in yours.. seriously thought they only provide part of what I need... I need someone to measure the ring width as it is just as important as the thickness...
      again it would be greatly appreciated... and please no more smart ass responses...

Comment

Originally posted by mavrik View Post
        ... and please no more smart ass responses...
        I am really sorry that you considered that to be a "smart ass response".

Don't worry, you will get no more of them from me.

In fact, you won't get ANYTHING from me.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow three posts and already trying to be a smartass towards people trying to help
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Wow three posts and already trying to be a smartass towards people trying to help
            sorry but telling me to look in my manual is of no help to me... the information I am asking for is not in any manual... I checked my manual first and then I went to the library and checked in the 2 that they had with no luck so after exhausting all resources I had available to me I thought someone here would be able to provide me what I needed as someone who had replaced their rings might have them lying around and measure them for my request...

put yourself in my shoes... you come here to tap into the experience of hundreds of guys who have done this work and amassed a great wealth of knowledge, and you ask your question and all you get is "look in your manual"...

so as for only 3 posts maybe this is why I have only three posts...

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
              If you already had all the specs EXCEPT for ring width, then why didn't you ASK for that?

Your question comes across like you are expecting to be spoon feed.
              wow I guess everybody here comes with attitude...

Comment

Nessism
                I just have to address your response... I don't know about you but I would rather have numbers measures directly off the rings than numbers printed in a book, anytime...
                maybe if you were a mechanic you would understand this...

Comment

Yes there are times when books may not have everything but i do expect to be told to look it up as it means I learn how to take care of myself when the time comes. There are many things the books give us if we take the time to look especially knowing it can take time for folks to see the question. But to slap the hand that feeds you with your kind of an attitude is just poor manners and downright disrespectful.

As Steve said, expect no help from me which will be a downright shame if I had the answer that could help. I mean why should I if you're going to treat people that way.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by mavrik View Post
                    wow I guess everybody here comes with attitude...
                    Not everyone, just ones that missed thier nappy time.
                    Welcome to the site, shame you got that kind of greating.
                    Last edited by gsrick; 03-24-2013, 10:49 PM.
                    :cool:GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      Yes there are times when books may not have everything but i do expect to be told to look it up as it means I learn how to take care of myself when the time comes. There are many things the books give us if we take the time to look especially knowing it can take time for folks to see the question. But to slap the hand that feeds you with your kind of an attitude is just poor manners and downright disrespectful.

As Steve said, expect no help from me which will be a downright shame if I had the answer that could help. I mean why should I if you're going to treat people that way.
                      Really Cowboy, and you give advice that you don't have knowledge of. like telling people that head bearing shims aren't nessary, when that actually could lead to serious accident.

Telling people to look it up or do a sesrch is no help. Might as well just say nothing. Just as helpful to the problem, but less atitude.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

the ring thickness specifications and wear limits are on page 26 of the suzuki manual,
                        sorry for the young kids' attitude,
                        Last edited by derwood; 03-24-2013, 11:00 PM.
                        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                          the ring thickness specifications and wear limits are on page 26 of the suzuki manual,
                          sorry for the young kids' attitude,
                          I could be wrong, but I think he is looking for the I and O diameter or the difference between them.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Yes, I may be wrong as well, that's one of my few talents.

the width of the ring stock (id-od) should be fairly standard, in accordance with bore size.

I might add that ring thickness is critical, if ring axial clearance is to tight, gas pressure will not be able to seal the ring to the piston and inflate it against the cylinder wall.
                            if the ring is too thin and/or axial clearance too great it will flutter during high rpm at TDC slamming into the ring lands and breaking.

perhaps too tight a radial clearance will also cause sealing issues, i hadn't considered that.
                            Last edited by derwood; 03-25-2013, 12:54 AM.
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

This thread and some of the responses amuse me...slightly.

As someone who regularly puts automotive rings into bike motors, It's unusual to find much difference in the radial width given similar bore sizes.

As I'm usually machining the ring grooves to accept wider rings it's no problem to deepen the grooves at the same time - if it's needed.

Too little radial clearance can be a problem but too much usually doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X