'81 GS550T clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS550T clutch cable

What do you have to remove on the engine to remove the clutch cable ? Clymer manual shows the small cover but that only has the clutch adj. nut. Do Ii have to take off the bigger cover and remove gear shift ? Drain oil ? Is there any where to find this info? I tried the search but nothing came up. Advice ? Doug

That is all you have to remove from the engine. You will want to remove the foot peg and shifter and linkage. It will probably be easier to route the new cable with the tank off etc.

Amos

Originally posted by Dougbo View Post
    What do you have to remove on the engine to remove the clutch cable ? Clymer manual shows the small cover but that only has the clutch adj. nut. Do Ii have to take off the bigger cover and remove gear shift ? Drain oil ? Is there any where to find this info? I tried the search but nothing came up. Advice ? Doug

Comment

Do I drain the oil ? I'm not clear on that. Doug

Comment

Im currently having the same problem with my '80550E, I took off the clutch cover to reveal the nut and screw and loosened them both, but the cable still doesn't want to come out of the clutch... I ended up completely taking out the screw that I thought held in the cable, to no avail.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Replacing The Clutch Cable in a GS550 - A pictorial guide by Mr. elwaxoro, PDF file (360KB).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you very much. Changing the cable is easy when you can see what you are doing. This is an excellent presentation. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ment_GS550.pdf
            Doug

Comment

THANK YOU. that tutorial is exactly what I was looking for.
              much appreciated, Dave

Comment

Working...
              X