First Crash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Crash.

Hey all... As you can tell by my title, I had my first crash on the 750. Stopped at a stop sign, made a right, and I leaned over just a little too far in the turn and over I went. I'm fine (ATGATT), but the bike didn't make it out unscathed.

The cover over the signal generator was missing, and the whole thing is wrecked. The bolt broke (I think enough is sticking out for me to use a pair of pliers to remove it), the wires shredded, the spring/magnet piece broke and it's a mess. I already bought a complete assembly on ebay, but I have a few questions on putting it in.

Do I need to set the crank on TDC for the replacement, or can I stick in the bolt, the magnets and everything else and just go?

How do I check the signal generator I bought to verify it's good?

Is this the easiest route or do I need to get an electronic ignition?

Also, the V&H exhaust is wrecked. Does anyone know where I can buy just the megaphone end piece (the slip on?)? The headers are fine.

That Sucks. The first decent day we've had here in a while, and you fell. Glad you're ok. May your bike have a speedy recovery.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      That Sucks. The first decent day we've had here in a while, and you fell. Glad you're ok. May your bike have a speedy recovery.
      I actually fell a week or so ago, on one of those 45 degree days where the sun actually came out.

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to getting her back together and going again. It just goes to show, going fast is better than going slow (at least that's what I told the GF )

Comment

Does the TZ have an 8 valve engine? I would think the end of the crank would have a keyway or that type of slot or a flat spot so you can't get it wrong. then bolt in the new pickup mechanism.
        Looking it up now in the service manual off of Bassclifs website.Someone may chime in before I get it downloaded.

Comment

Grab the service manual from Bassclifs website, that will show you everything and it is a good thing to have on hand.
          Generaly these pickup units don't really go bad so the one u got should be fine, put it in and make sure everything lines up.Did the bold shear off the end of the crank>?

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
            Does the TZ have an 8 valve engine? I would think the end of the crank would have a keyway or that type of slot or a flat spot so you can't get it wrong. then bolt in the new pickup mechanism.
            Looking it up now in the service manual off of Bassclifs website.Someone may chime in before I get it downloaded.
            Yes, I have the 16 valve engine. Is this what you mean? The slot at 3 o'clock?

Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM. Reason: I wasn't thinking.

Comment

Grab the service manual from Bassclifs website, that will show you everything and it is a good thing to have on hand.
              Generaly these pickup units don't really go bad so the one u got should be fine, put it in and make sure everything lines up.Did the bold shear off the end of the crank>?
              The bolt broke in 2 pieces, about a quarter of the way down the threads. I can definitely reach it with pliers, but I haven't tried removing it yet.

How do I check if the impact messed up the crank?

Comment

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ download here the service manual

Comment

Originally posted by AX2007 View Post
                  Yes, I have the 8 valve engine. Is this what you mean? The slot at 3 o'clock?

yup that and the end of the crank.

Comment

not really sure tho I am more familiar with the 16 valve engines.1150 setup. I will be learnong this soon as I have sold the 16 valve and bought 2 -8 valve bikes
                    My browser is having an issue with downloading the manual right now.
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2013, 10:28 PM.

Comment

seems my 1100 1982 is different.
                      need to get the leftover bolt out, make sure you can replace it.
                      someone will be along by tomarrow way more versed than I in this ignition setup.
                      but as long as the end of the crank is fine,which I think it would be. from that pic you cant put that together wrong from what I also was able to read.I think you will be fine.

Comment

not really sure tho I am more familiar with the 16 valve engines.1150 setup. I will be learnong this soon as I have sold the 16 valve and bought 2 -8 valve bikes
                        My browser is having an issue with downloading the manual right now.
                        I have the 16 valve. My mind isn't working right today.

Comment

seems my 1100 1982 is different.
                          need to get the leftover bolt out, make sure you can replace it.
                          someone will be along by tomarrow way more versed than I in this ignition setup.
                          but as long as the end of the crank is fine,which I think it would be. from that pic you cant put that together wrong from what I also was able to read.I think you will be fine.
                          That's the new piece, the old one isn't out yet. I have my fingers crossed about getting that bolt out. Pliers and luck should cover it, right?

Comment

That and Praying lol, I do that a lot,Praying works 95 percent of the time
                            So it is a nut and not a bolt on the 16 valve according to the service manual from the website.
                            Hope there is enuff thread left on the end of the crank to take another nut.
                            if there is you should be fine, Loctite threadlocker it well. it isn't like there is a lot of force on it while spinning, there is no resistance there.
                            My 1150/1100 went down from a P.O. on both side of the bike, and the right side was pretty messed up at one time but the repair they did I never had a problem with it.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Need to download this all the info you need on setting that up is here

Comment

Working...
                              X