Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird sound first real ride of the season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird sound first real ride of the season...

Im thinking clutch because it was on the right side, thought it sounded like it was coming out the exhaust... Kinda metalic like rattle mostly on decel.. Couple loud clunks when in neutral and putting it in gear also... Going to check the clutch basket tomorrow night. I did put in a new set of springs last year.. Changed oil and filter a few weeks ago also.. Rotella of course..
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

loose exhaust/baffle maybe?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Ill check that too. Thanks
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

Well indeed one of the baffles is indeed rattling. Im going to fix that today. I did inspect the clutch just in case. The sound was similar to change rattling in your dryer... Well clutch seemed fine, all bolts were tight. All but one surface seemed fine. Does this surface look too shiney??? Should it be hit with scotchbrite? What about the checking on the fingers?
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
          Well indeed one of the baffles is indeed rattling. Im going to fix that today. I did inspect the clutch just in case. The sound was similar to change rattling in your dryer... Well clutch seemed fine, all bolts were tight. All but one surface seemed fine. Does this surface look too shiney??? Should it be hit with scotchbrite? What about the checking on the fingers?
          Clutch checking
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic

Comment

scotch brite won't hurt it, go ahead n do it, the marks from the other parts are normal, nothing to worry unless the clutch starts hanging up ,at that time what you can do is gently file it smooth again. No biggy all look good I think.

Comment

Thanks... Took the bike out for a longer ride about 35 miles... Heard a similar sound... Something somewhere is loose, going to go over all the nuts n bolts this week as it will be raining....... driving me crazy.... Last year I had a similar issue... buzzing sound, again on decel.... tracked it to a loose screw on the headlight bezel....
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic

Comment

Mvalenti, you need to do some serious work to your basket or get a new one.

This picture shows some rather deep grooving where the 'fingers' on the disks are digging in.

Usually, it is possible to file out some minor rippling there, but yours are deep enough that I would seriously consider a new basket.

Having grooves that deep will keep the disks from sliding away from each other when you pull the clutch lever,
                making it difficult to change gears while riding, and especially to engage or release gears while sitting still.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Mvalenti, you need to do some serious work to your basket or get a new one.

This picture shows some rather deep grooving where the 'fingers' on the disks are digging in.

Usually, it is possible to file out some minor rippling there, but yours are deep enough that I would seriously consider a new basket.

Having grooves that deep will keep the disks from sliding away from each other when you pull the clutch lever,
                  making it difficult to change gears while riding, and especially to engage or release gears while sitting still.

Steve, i think it is the photo making it look worse than it is.look at the fingers on the far left, they look almost perfect. i think the flash or lighting must make those shiny wear marks look worse than they are
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    Steve, i think it is the photo making it look worse than it is.look at the fingers on the far left, they look almost perfect. i think the flash or lighting must make those shiny wear marks look worse than they are
                    Not sure if it's the lighting or not, but these areas need to be inspected, for sure.
                    And you know if those three are deep enough to feel, you will see similar bumps all the way around the basket.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

yeah i know what you mean, the ones you circled appear quite bad but then if you look at the one circled in red it looks almost perfect. where the plates rub in the basket is bound to shine them a bit and i think that the light reflecting on them makes them look a whole lot worse than they are. maybe a better pic may help......

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will check it again.. I remembered some time back reading about that. They didnt seem to be deep. I have a set of calipers, I will measure tonight.
                        -Mark
                        Boston, MA
                        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                        sigpic

Comment

No need to measure the depth.

If you can feel them, they need to be smoothed out.

If it looks like it will take too much to smoothe them out, replace the basket.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks again Steve. Barely feel em. More shiny than anything else... I think i have a clutch basket in a pile of parts somewhere just in case...
                            -Mark
                            Boston, MA
                            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for checking, they just looked TERRIBLE in the picture.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X