Transmission rebuild - quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission rebuild - quick question

Hey guys, I noticed when riding my 1982 GS550 katana that under full throttle load in 2nd gear, something weird is happening with the transmission. It feels like it momentarily slips out of gear until I let off the throttle. Under light throttle application there's no issue. It's also isolated to 2nd gear.

Anyway, I know to fix it I'm going to have to go inside. I was wondering if you can remove the engines lower case half and get to the transmission or will I have to take the head and cylinders off as well?

My goal is to repair the tranny but NOT have to tear the entire engine down if possible.

Thanks,
    Sci
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Sci, I'm dealing with what sounds like the exact same problem.

Good luck, I'll be following this closely.

Comment

Yeah , your shift fork for 2nd gear is most likely bent. This happens when someone is hard on the gas and doesn't get all the way into 2nd gear. The gear dogs slip and slam the fork over bending it. From then on it will slip out of gear. It's possible the engagement dogs are rounded off as well on both gears that engage. I think it's possible to access the forks through the bottom, maybe even through the oil pan,(anyone?) but to repair the engagement dogs you will have to remove the tranny shafts. If you go that far, have all the gear engagement dogs undercut. This forces the engagement dogs together under load, eliminating any future problems.

Comment

rounded dogs and slots..maybe started with bent forks but the end result is the trans needed repaired and all the parts needs checked out.
        it is cheaper/better to have a trans back cut then to buy a gear or 3 from suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          rounded dogs and slots..maybe started with bent forks but the end result is the trans needed repaired and all the parts needs checked out.
          it is cheaper/better to have a trans back cut then to buy a gear or 3 from suzuki.
          +1 here, also its worth replacing the selector detent springs, second gear is the one that suffers most on all transmissions usually caused by hard acceleration away in first and it not engaging properly selecting second it only has to slip out once and the damage is started. Backcutting is the best.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
            +1 here, also its worth replacing the selector detent springs, second gear is the one that suffers most on all transmissions usually caused by hard acceleration away in first and it not engaging properly selecting second it only has to slip out once and the damage is started. Backcutting is the best.
            on the high perf stuff..
            i double up the detent spring(2) for a really nice positive drum rotation and shifter feel.
            (this makes a nice "SNAP" WHEN YOU SHIFT)

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
              Hey guys, I noticed when riding my 1982 GS550 katana that under full throttle load in 2nd gear, something weird is happening with the transmission. It feels like it momentarily slips out of gear until I let off the throttle. Under light throttle application there's no issue. It's also isolated to 2nd gear.

Anyway, I know to fix it I'm going to have to go inside. I was wondering if you can remove the engines lower case half and get to the transmission or will I have to take the head and cylinders off as well?

My goal is to repair the tranny but NOT have to tear the entire engine down if possible.

Thanks,
              Sci
              I think you could do it by taking the bottom half of the crankcase off but you have to be really, really careful to relocate the bearing dowls when you reassemble, and you will have at least to remove the cams because relocating the chain slippers would be impossible from that way.
              You would still have to remove the clutch and all the bits behind.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                on the high perf stuff..
                i double up the detent spring(2) for a really nice positive drum rotation and shifter feel.
                (this makes a nice "SNAP" WHEN YOU SHIFT)
                Nice, one inside the other? if so what spring do you use for it and where can I find one?
                sigpic

Comment

Nice, one inside the other? if so what spring do you use for it and where can I find one?
                  this is on 1100/1150's but might be the same for other gs models.
                  seems like i just add the extra spring(factory item) across from the factory spring where the hooks are facing each other.
                  seems like they rubbed each other but was not inside of each other.

if you look at a pic for a 1100/1150 you will see the spring and see what i'm talking about.

Comment

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Number 21?
                    sigpic

Comment

can you post a part#
                      the link take me to the main suzuki site/parts.
                      i will then confirm or not.

Comment

the spring i'm calling a detent spring is the one that hooks to the engine case and goes to a centered pivoting bar that has a roller on one end that rolls against the shift drum(shift fork shaft goes through this bar)...not the spring on the shifter shaft behind the clutch basket.

Comment

I think you mean number 17?

sigpic

Comment

#18 spring
                            seeing the picture i install 2 side by side..

Comment

ok got it thanks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X