1980 GS750e Clutch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750e Clutch issues

My issue is this: When I pull the clutch in the bike is not going into neutral as I think it should. That said, it seems that the cable is not making the clutch go into neutral. So I can hold in the clutch at the handlebar and put it in first (or second) and with the clutch held in the bike is just in gear. It is as if the clutch cable has no effect when pulled. I have the manual but it is not very clear about the adjustment procedure.

I do notice that if I take the actuating lever off then the little spindle spline thing that it connects to has a little play (left or right) and maybe that needs to be moved all the way one way or the other before I put the actuating lever on? I have had it moved all the way to the right before I put the lever on.

Any help is appreciated. I have worked so hard to get this bike up and running and now that it finally is running great I have this issue.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Pnedac

If it helps at all the clutch is pretty new and looks great under the cover. I really don't think it is the clutch at all and I am getting that from a qualified mechanic that I brought it to for a separate issues I was having.

Thanks again!

Comment

PM sending.....
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

keep it in the forum chuck so we all can learn

Comment

He had the lower linkage out of sync to start off..so we got that in the right spot. The I was telling him about how turning the adjusters in or out makes the "length" change which induces slack or tightness....then his phone went dead.

So Patrick, as I was gonna say.

Loosen the jam nuts on the mid cable adjuster and turn adjuster so you get a bunch of slack at the lever..then reset the clutch lever adjuster so you have the threads about centered again.

Then go down at the clutch cover and set that adjuster screw so the threads there are about at the mid point too.

Then go back to the mid cable adjuster and adjust the slack out till the clutch lever has aboout 3/8 inch play at the end ( end of the lever toward the end of the bars) and tighten the mid cable adjusters jam nuts. Now your set to start the fine tuning. Pull in the clutch lever and look inside the oil fill cap to see that the pressure plate does in fact now move ( release pressure off the clutch plates ).

If so, put the cap back on and squeeze in the lever and start the bike. Put in first and "feel" where the lever begins to grab and move the bike. Make all major adjustments down by the clutch cover and fine adjustment up at the clutch lever adjuster. Will take a little playing to get it just like you like it.

remeber that when the lever is released it should wiggle a bit before it actually starts to pull on the cable..not much but it has to fully let the cable be free ( relaxed ) ..if you follow what I mean. A little dab of grease on the cable ends where they ride aginst the linkage and the lever to keep them lubed up.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-31-2013, 11:07 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X