Chirpy squeaky sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chirpy squeaky sound

The last post made me want to ask if anyone has experienced a squeaking or high pitched chirping sound coming from the motor.

I think it is coming from the head area, and seems to be mostly on the throttle side of the bike. The bike seems to run fine but it makes me wonder because the pipes are getting blue again and I wonder if one has anything to do with the other.

When I noticed it yesterday, I checked the oil and it was a little low (no drips) but it evidentally is drinking a little oil. So I topped off the oil to the marker, and ran it today and still hear it.

I tried to spray some detergent water around to see if it may be an air leak somewhere, but of course that didnt work because the heat bubbled everything up anyway.

I am pretty sure I dont have any songbirds living in my motor, so what do you think ....?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Sometimes a chirping noise is caused by a leaking head gasket. It will chirp as the pressure is released, especially when you rev the motor.

Comment

Still have points or electronic ignition?

I have had the pads for the wipers dry out and the poly ends of the points will start to squeel as the crank turns. Maybe the governor pivot points are in need of some lube??
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Tach drive gear????
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

COOL Beans guys, Thank You.

I hope it is not the head gasket. I will check the bolts on the valve cover - because I recently put new gasket on.

I did notice where the tach cable attaches to motor is oily.

It has brand new points and condensers.

At least it seems that everything except the head gasket possibility is minor and wont hurt the motor driving it while trying to figure it out.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

yup yup...

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Tach drive gear????
            +1!!! Usually the symptom
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

whats the fix for it? grease?
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Hi,

Most of the time it's the tachometer itself that squeals or chirps. Take it off, turn it upside down, and spray your favorite lubricant in the cable port hole. WD40 or a contact cleaner with silicon lubricants. Might as well lube the cable as best you can while you're at it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Still have points or electronic ignition?

I have had the pads for the wipers dry out and the poly ends of the points will start to squeel as the crank turns. Maybe the governor pivot points are in need of some lube??

I think you are right Chuck.

My neighbor gave me a stethoscope and I listened to everything while running. The high pitched squeal I hear is coming from under the points cover.

Will it hurt anything if I dont do anything? When I installed them a few weeks ago I put that grease stuff on them. I am afraid I possibly dont know exactly where to lube it.

After posting I just went on a short ride...and it has stopped squealing on it's own ...mighty wierd...
                  Last edited by Gregory; 04-05-2013, 06:34 PM.
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

Undo wear on the polly pads that open and close the points..Just a drop of engine oil on the felt pads is all she needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X