Is this oil cooler correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this oil cooler correct?

I recently purchased this 83 GS550L and have been slowly getting it back on the road. I noticed oil under the engine and cleaned it up. I found that the oil cooler has orange sealant where the fitting connects to the oil pan. The cooler does not look original. Are these the proper fittings? I was hesitate to remove the fittings without replacements ready.

Is this the Proper Oil Cooler

Here is a pic of the cooler

Comment

aftermarket. not sure about the fittings, definitely NOT anything like the 1150 unit plumbed into my 1100, looks pretty ugly to me.

one thing that is for sure not correct is the red silicone. grotty garbage.
      Last edited by greg78gs750; 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Hi,

The Derale oil cooler is an industry standard aftermarket cooler. No problem there. But I've never seen one fitted that way. That doesn't mean it won't work right. You might be able to stop the leaks just by taking it apart, cleaning it up, and using some thread sealer. Let's hope the fittings are not stripped. That would kind of be a bummer. Unless you're racing it, an oil cooler on a 550 is pretty much over-kill.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X