How to swap shims with no spare shim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to swap shims with no spare shim?

I have two valves out of spec. How do I take them both out and swap them ? I tried the leaving the zip tie in the valve to rotate the engine but the can love got stuck on the lip of the cup. That was a mess to press the valve so I could unstick it. So what's the secret?

Ideally, of course, you would want a spare shim, but some have reported using coins as a TEMPORARY shim.

Don't know if half-dollars or 'silver' dollars will work, but a quarter should fit fine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Use the gold dollar coins that are slightly larger and thicker than a quarter.

Comment

Put your approximate earthly location in your profile -- there might be a friendly GS-er in your neighborhood with some spare shims.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi,

You never want to turn the engine with shims missing. You need an extra shim, or shim-like object. There is a "shim club" in the forum that offers free exchanges. See: GS Valve Shim Club

For reference: Valve Adjustments (8 Valve) (PDF file)
          Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Don't know if half-dollars or 'silver' dollars will work, but a quarter should fit fine.

I'm banking on that!
            Seriously, I've read in previous posts where you mentioned quarters before. It would be nice to know if indeed they really do the trick.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

As long as they fit in the bucket AND are higher than the bucket rims, anything will work...change, washers, whatever.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                As long as they fit in the bucket AND are higher than the bucket rims, anything will work...change, washers, whatever.
                And Chuck, what did you say the diameter was for those things?
                29.5mm wasn't it?
                sigpic
                Steve

Comment

The shims are..but a little loose just for a stopper is ok. He can roll the engine with the crank nut and swap out shims. Thing is to keep the edges of the bucket from hitting the lobes.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I will try the gold dollar coin thanks for the suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Rockgs1000 View Post
                      I will try the gold dollar coin thanks for the suggestions
                      Please Let us know how that works for you.
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X