Leak behind the sprocket cover GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak behind the sprocket cover GS1100

I have oil leaking from behind the sprocket cover on my 81 GS1100.

Is it possible to replace the large oil seal that lives behind the sprocket (and the small very thin O ring) without splitting the crankcase (ie by just removing the sprocket and the cylindrical spacer behind it) ?

I'm hoping that it's just the neutral indicator O ring but I bought the other parts as well. Just don't want to go pulling them off to find that it's impossible to replace them without splitting the crankcases.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Try replacing the starter o-ring first (the o-ring at the end of the starter where it seals into the stator cavity) - often times it leaks into the sprocket area & looks like a leak from there... easy to replace & might save you a ton of work.

You don't have to remove the carbs to get at the starter, there's enough room to wiggle the starter out once the starter cover is removed.

mike
    Last edited by hikermikem; 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Have you found the exact source of the leak yet? If not, clean everything up real good and spray the area down with foot powder. The residue left behind will allow the leak to show in one area better than trying to guess
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I took the sprocket cover off yesterday and had a go at cleaning off 30 years of accumulated chain oil. It's come up pretty clean after spending most of the day going back over it again and again.

I'll try the powder idea as it's not obvious as yet where it's leaking from. I did a thousand miles last week at a rally and while the leak isn't severe, there was a burnt puddle of oil and a 1/2" wide river of it from the top of the exhaust shield running down.

I didn't think of the starter motor O ring at all so that's worth doing anyway if it's that easy. I presume that we're talking about the small O ring at the front of the Smotor ?

Finally, looking at the large seal behind the sprocket I can see that it's not replaceable in situ with that large positioning "C" ring there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
          I didn't think of the starter motor O ring at all so that's worth doing anyway if it's that easy. I presume that we're talking about the small O ring at the front of the Smotor ?
          I had the same issue last year with my '81 1100E. I was driving down the freeway and felt my foot slipping off the peg. There was oil everywhere, and it dripped on the ground once I stopped.

I figured a seal let loose on the shifter shaft, but a member here suggested I check the starter o-ring.

Needless to say, that suggestion was right on the money - I picked up an OEM (actually, a couple) o-ring and after replacing it the leak was fixed!

The oil from the stator cavity leaks past the starter shaft (o-ring) and gets into the starter cavity, where it drains down the mystery hole and ends up leaking under the front sprocket cover.

Good luck with yours let us know how it turns out.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

That's really interesting. Sounds just like my problem. I'll order a couple of O rings (might as well). I'm going to ride it this week just to see if it was the neutral light O ring but I might change the starter one anyway as I'm slowly going through the bike.

Comment

Found !

Thanks for all the help.

In this case, I got lucky. It turned out to be the neutral indicator O ring. As simple a fix (this time) as you can get. After 600 miles, the powder shows no oil trails.

Comment

Working...
              X