Time for a new Basket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new Basket ?

I noticed a small crack in the basket during a clutch replacement. I don't think it's worth the risk to keep it and I'm going to replace it. I was wondering, what would the rest of you do?

82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Well, it is on the end and it is part of many so IF you couldn't find a replacement you could blend the crack out and smoothe the area. it would probably be ok but I would most likely replace it.

Comment

Replace it if it was mine.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Replace it, there's really no other choice. Should you loose a piece of that in your clutch no telling the damage it could cause.
        '82 and '83 GS1100E's are pretty well known for their clutch issues, but I haven't seen one like this.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Could have a mass of aluminum TIG welded on and then reshaped also.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The hub has signs of wear at every point of contact from the plates as well as what look like signs of stress in spots. I would replace; a busted chunk of aluminum between two meshing gears is a lot more expensive.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

that is an inner hub...not a basket.
              the mark is casting...have seen same mark in same area on other 1100/1150's
              the wear marks are normal in the splines.
              buy a new one if you want but i wouldn't sweat it.

where is you cup/shim/steel plate and piano wire at dude?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                that is an inner hub...not a basket.
                the mark is casting...have seen same mark in same area on other 1100/1150's
                the wear marks are normal in the splines.
                buy a new one if you want but i wouldn't sweat it.

where is you cup/shim/steel plate and piano wire at dude?

Thanks for the correction.

I have the other parts. I took them off as I am replacing the steels and fibers.
                82 GS1100E
                five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
                Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Working...
                X