cam chain guide removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain guide removal

I am in the process of trying to get the top end of my 82 850 GL apart to repalce gaskets but i cant seem to figure out how to get the cam chain guide out as the manual states. Also when I unscrewed all the nuts for the head 4 of them brought the whole stud out with the nut due to it being rusted on. any help would be Appreciated greatly

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kgonzalez,

I plan on refreshing the top end of my bike one day in the not too distant future and I'll take lots of pictures. Until then all I can do for your is greet you properly.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Have you removed the cam chain tensioner? Been a while since I did all that but I believe once the tensioner is removed, the rear guide should just pull up & out. The front one should pull out once the head is removed.

Suggest using an OEM head gasket when you re-install, seems the aftermarket ones are not always reliable.

Also, think about replacing the base gasket now that you've "disturbed" that seal by removing the head - it would suck to have that area leak after you've buttoned up the head job. Take care when you scrape that old base gasket off, so as not to gouge the aluminum sealing surfaces.

good luck, keep us posted on your progress...
      Last edited by hikermikem; 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The tensioner is off i finally figured id try to grab the guide with a pair of pliers and it came right out. Now I cant get the head seperated from the Cylinder Base the unit wants to pull up all as one ive tapped with a rubber mallet but am afraid to hit anymore because I already chipped a fin. I hadnt planned on repalcing the base gaskets but now that its been disturbed i figured I need to.

Comment

There's a small bolt that threads into the head from the bottom in the front/center of the engine that's often overlooked, make sure that's out...

Keep using that rubber mallet to gently persuade it off - try not to whack the fins, as you've discovered, they will break. Try hitting it with a wooden dowel (sawed off broom handle) in selected spots to help it separate.

After 30+ years, they can be a bear to get apart.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

when i reinstall the studs that came out to they have to be torqued down i couldnt find anything about installation for them in the service manual I have. If they do have to be torqued whats the spec on that???

Comment

Hi,

Torque specs and other information can be found in the factory manual that you can download from my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The studs need to be double nutted and torqued down into the cases. The APE site says 12-15 lb/ft for HD studs. The threads at the top need to be cleaned well with a threading die run over them, otherwise the torque you see when you install the head wont be accurate. If they are bad enough I would replace them.

Comment

I looked in the manuals on Bass Cliffs site didnt see a torque setting for the cylinder studs,unless there called something else woulds you use the spec for the ape studs for stock studs i was kind of afraid they might break and i cant find ape studs for my 850 only for the gs 1000 and up.

Comment

Working...
                  X